Luvachicken

Stuck on my new crochet. Finished !!!

Just looked at cat tails video and didn't know you could decrease that way, so I have learnt something new today.

Maths and counting are all part of crochet, OH often talks to me when I am in the middle of counting, he has learnt to recognise the stern look he gets :lol:

Thank you both again :D

I just watched the invisible decrease.

It didn't look as hard as I thought it might, thank goodness.

I think what I'm finding hardest is where my stitches are.

Sometimes I think I find an extra loop and then I don't know if it is stitch or not so then of course I stitch it and then I end up with one or two too many.

I suppose it is just practise and this is the first thing I've had a go at other than a square.

I will do some more tomorrow afternoon when everybody is back at work and I have the peace and quiet I need.

The invisible decrease is just as easy as a normal decrease, but makes a huge difference! It truely is invisible, which you definitely can't say of the normal one.

It will get easier with practice and I do prefer crocheting with a good lamp/ light. Especially with difficult colours like black and white. When inserting your hook, you stick it underneath the v and you only should have the yarn on your hook of the two loops of the v. With the invisible decrease, you only use one of the loops. For a normal crochet, you use both loops.

You are making great progress, well done!!!

I echo Cat Tails' recommendation for the invisible decrease - it makes a MASSIVE difference, Toft patterns are almost exclusively worked in the round and the invisible decrease helps hugely to prevent your stuffing (well, your toy's stuffing, not your stuffing!!!!) showing through your stitches!!

This will all get MUCH easier with practice - keep going, you are doing really well!!!

Thanks everyone :D

I now have a body :dance:

Not quite sure how because although I started with the right amount of stitches I ended up with 2 too many again and then by the end an odd one. So I sneakily crocheted it to the next one.

It looks like it is the right shape but it has definitely gone wrong somewhere.

I'm still not good at spotting where I've gone wrong and often have to undo the whole round and start again.

I will get better with practice.

Her head is next which I might start tomorrow :D

Thanks Bramble :D

It's almost the right shape.

The next step is to stuff it.

It says to break yarn - which I couldn't do so I had to use scissors, stuff and gather stitches.

Do I just pull the wool or do I need to thread it round and then pull it ?

I'm not sure what I have is pullable.

Sounds like you are getting there! :clap:

You won't be able to pull it. I normally get a threading needle and just cross the gap a few times. Don't overdo it as you will be left with a bump. A few stitches is all it takes and if you want you can make a little knot.

I usually leave a long tail and stitch it through the body a few times. The yarn will have a lot of resistance from the stuffing, so no knot required.

Have stuffed her body :D

And have just started her head and it's going well so far.

I have managed 7 rounds and had exactly the right amount of stitches for each round - I am very pleased with myself :oops:

Bit tired now so will stop before I start to make any mistakes.

I love how there is no big seam down the back of the little animal.

I've managed the head - kind of.

It started so well, with the right amount of stitches but I haven't finished with the right amount.

I'm finding it difficult adding the DC and then 2 into one spot, not in terms of doing it though, but I think perhaps where I start. I think I might miss a stitch and then start. I always seem to be one or two stitches short.

I only did one round of increasing completely right.

I also found it hard to see where I needed to go next after decreasing so I used a stitch marker to show me - that seemed to work quite well.

Actually, I find it quite hard trying to work out where my stitch is going next - not always knowing if the hole I'm looking for is where I've just been or the one next to it.

If I pull at the wool from above that helps me see the hole I've just done but I don't always see it - and that's with my first ever pair of glasses :shock:

I've stuffed it now and it looks roughly like it should, although when I put the 2 pieces together my children said it looked like a duck :evil:

I will be very happy if it looks anything like it should.

Well done luvachicken, it just takes practice and I am sure the others will admit that we all sometimes put a stitch in the wrong hole, I know I do.

Ignore the children it will all come together in the end, either that or you will have to re fashion into a duck :shock:

I couldn't work out the other day why my crochet looked odd, then I realised I had my glasses on - I am short sighted :doh: would have been fine if it had been across the other side of the room.

Do we get to see any pictures?

I think the Toft animals look TERRIBLE when you first attach the head to the body, it's hard to see them looking like anything at all, but then when you add the arms, legs, ears, eyes etc it will come together and look much better, I promise. I have made quite a few of their animals - I am currently working on Chardonnay the Palomino Pony (except I am crocheting her in purple and white, and giving her a horn and wings so is actually going to be a flying unicorn!!). I love love love Toft patterns!!

I think the Toft animals look TERRIBLE when you first attach the head to the body, it's hard to see them looking like anything at all, but then when you add the arms, legs, ears, eyes etc it will come together and look much better, I promise. I have made quite a few of their animals - I am currently working on Chardonnay the Palomino Pony (except I am crocheting her in purple and white, and giving her a horn and wings so is actually going to be a flying unicorn!!). I love love love Toft patterns!!

I think you are right.

I watched her video of gathering the stitches together and the sewing on the eyes - they had a lot more character with eyes.

They sell giant animals too :D

I was looking at the giant Cocker spaniel.

I love the sound of your giant unicorn, she sounds very beautiful ....... a photo would be nice when she's done :D

I've managed to make another leg :dance:

I couldn't find the instructions to make any arms - and then Hubby informed me that reindeer don't have arms :oops:

That's obviously why :lol:

So just when I was thinking I had made the legs I needed, now I need to make 2 more.

What I find funny is that it tells you how many ears to make :roll:

For a beginner I was slightly worried that some of my instructions were missing :oops:

I've managed to make another leg :dance:

I couldn't find the instructions to make any arms - and then Hubby informed me that reindeer don't have arms :oops:

That's obviously why :lol:

So just when I was thinking I had made the legs I needed, now I need to make 2 more.

What I find funny is that it tells you how many ears to make :roll:

For a beginner I was slightly worried that some of my instructions were missing :oops:

:lol: Made my day! :anxious:

Sounds like you are doing great!

It will get loads easier once it "clicks". It took me a few projects before I really started to get the hang of it.