Luvachicken

Stuck on my new crochet. Finished !!!

OK, for Christmas I was given a Donna the Reindeer crochet kit :D

I have managed the magic circle :dance:

I have completed round 1 ( dc2 into next stitch) 6 times (12sts)

I have completed round 2 (dc1,dc2 into next stitch) 6 times (18sts)

But now I'm stuck :(

I have to (dc2,dc2 into next stitch) 6 times to get 24 stitches.

I get that 18 sts plus 6 more gets me to 24 but I cannot picture how to do it :?

I've looked on you tube but can't find anything.

Not only that, the lovely crochet markers I bought keep snapping :evil:

Can anyone explain what I'm doing next please :D

Edited by Guest

You crochet 1 in the first stitch, 1 in the second stitch (together 2 dc) and 2 in the third. This will give you 4 stitches in total x 6 =24! :D

Edit: this applies for any next rounds too. You increase the number of single dc. So next round will be three times a single dc and then 2 dc in the fourth stitch.

Edited by Guest

Thank you both so much :D

That has been very helpful.

I will try it later and see how I get on - watching The Chase at the moment and can't concentrate on crochet if there is noise :oops:

I like to have it dead quiet.

Last time I tried any crochet, I was doing really well, and then someone started up one of those garden hoovers and it just threw my concentration right out.

Think safety pins might be a better idea but I was taken in by the pretty colours of the others.

Edit: this applies for any next rounds too. You increase the number of single dc. So next round will be three times a single dc and then 2 dc in the fourth stitch.

The next round IS dc3,dc2 into next stitch 6 times - 30.

How did you know that ?????

Very clever Cat tails :clap:

I think I am understanding it more now ...... I hope :lol:

I know, they are nice and colourful! But mine will break too if I use them to much for closing etc.

I literally popped one on, then when I got to the next row, I went to take it off and then it snapped.

I put it down to being too "rough" but then the same thing happened with the next one.

So not even over use.

They were very cheap though - I suppose that's why.

I did just find some pretty coloured metal ones but they were out of stock.

Thank you Cat tails for the links.

I will use them later.

And thank you too Ursula for the praise for doing a magic circle.

Doing the magic circle gave me the reassurance to do the reindeer in the wool that came in the kit rather than doing a practice one in an odd colour.

You have both been very helpful and I don't mind at all who helps me.

There were obviously 2 ways to describe what I needed to do next and both ways got it sorted into my head.

With the way my brain works sometimes I often need more than one explanation :roll:

Whilst cooking tea, my DS said he heard a strange popping sound :?

I showed him the broken stitch markers from earlier and then showed him how it worked on my crochet, only to find the one on it had broken all by itself and that's what he had heard.

Stupid things :evil:

I know they didn't cost much but I did expect them to work for longer than one round.

At this rate I won't have enough :shock:

I am wondering if your kit is from the Toft Alpaca shop? I have done LOADS of their designs and they are really lovely once you get into the swing of them. The lady who writes the patterns (I think her name is Kerry Lord?) has done lots of REALLY useful videos on YouTube - search for Toft on YouTube and you'll find them easily - you just need to pick out the crochet rather than knitting ones.

I have only been crocheting for a couple of years (largely spurred on by help and encouragement from the crochet experts on this forum!) and the Toft patterns have really helped me to move up from the really basic stuff to something a bit more complex.

We will look forward to seeing pictures of the finished Donna!!

Yes Bramble it is one of the TOFT ones and she is called Donna.

The wool is beautifully soft - from her alpacas I think - and it's all made in the UK.

Even the crochet hook is lovely and soft too.

The instructions have helpful pointers as to when to use the computer for her videos - which is how I did the magic circle.

I have got further than I thought I would but I'm not sure how long she will take me.

I could photograph what I have done so far but it just looks like a mini coaster :lol:

I will be doing some more this afternoon though as there is no one here and I have the peace and quiet I need :D

If it looks like a mini coaster, it sounds like you are on the right track to me!! I have a friend who visits Toft regularly, they are based near Leamington, I think, I haven't been there, but said friend gave me one of the pattern books and I've made several of their animals! The first one took quite a while, but I can churn them out relatively quickly now. When you get to that stage, it's well worth watching the video on how to assemble your animal!

Have fun!

I have managed to do 12 rounds :dance:

And give or take an extra stitch I now seem to have the right amount - 48.

Round 13 I am finding quite hard to understand.

It says dc30,(dc4,dc2tog) 3 times = 45 stitches

Do I dc30 first and then do the bit in the brackets 3 times ?

This would equal 48 -30 = 18

dc4 + dc2 = 6 x3 = 18

Have I cracked it ?

I didn't realise maths was such a part of crochet :shock:

DC the first 30, then DC4 and the next two stitches need to be double crochet together and repeat the Dc4 and two together twice = 45 stitches. Have a look at video cat tails linked about decreasing.

To Dc two together you go into your first stitch, yarn over and pull back through = 2 loops on hook (do not complete stitch) then with the 2 loops go into next stitch, yarn over and pull through = 3 loops on hook then yarn over and pull through all 3 loops.

I have managed to do 12 rounds :dance:

And give or take an extra stitch I now seem to have the right amount - 48.

Round 13 I am finding quite hard to understand.

It says dc30,(dc4,dc2tog) 3 times = 45 stitches

Do I dc30 first and then do the bit in the brackets 3 times ?

This would equal 48 -30 = 18

dc4 + dc2 = 6 x3 = 18

Have I cracked it ?

I didn't realise maths was such a part of crochet :shock:

Hahaha yep! Maths is definitely a part of crocheting!

It does mean 30 normal crochets first then the bit between brackets 3 times. So first 4 normal crochets and then crocheting two together as in the video. Which makes 5 crochets in total in brackets. Times 3 = 15 . 15 + the original 30 = 45.

If you want do do the normal decrease (crocheting 2 stitches together into 1) its as following:

Stick hook in first stitch and pull through a loop. Stick hook in second stitch and pull up loop. Now you have two loops on hook. Finish stitch as normal.