Roksteddie

Extra loud chickens!

Our 3rd hen has finally come into lay, and boy does she want EVERYONE to know about it! I didn't know it was possible for a hen to be this loud. It starts before she's even gone to lay the egg, then continues during, then long after she's laid. Furthermore she seems to have roped the other 2 into her choir even though they'd previously been pretty quiet up until now. It doesn't bother us at all but we have neighbouring gardens on 3 sides so we really don't want to upset anyone. Is she this noisy because it's all so new to her? Will she calm down? Or will she continue like this now for the rest of her laying days?

I've got a couple that like to tell the world they want to, are about to, are laying and have laid. they aren't to bad but it's the 2 that won't share the nest when they want to lay and the one that can't find a nest to lay in when out FR that are the problem as they set the rest of alarm calling which starts the cockerels off they do get bored with it pretty quick through but the girl will scream until horse and some

Ours are generally pretty quiet. We have one who seems to be periodically excited about it and makes a lot of loud clucking for about 5 minutes, but then she goes back to being quiet.

I think I've only ever heard them from inside the house once - but I am pretty sure it's because they were hoping for some corn. :lol: