Rotherhamgirl

Scaly leg mite - treatment

Hello, we have 4 hens, two of which seem to have scaly leg mite. One of them was treated by the vet last year with Ivermectin, which of course meant we couldn't eat her eggs for ages. I've been testing them all at 5 day intervals with Net tex scaly leg for the last month, but there's no obvious improvement. I remember the vet saying that they only recover visibly after the next moult. Do I stop now and hope for the best? They have never appeared ill at all, so it's not as if I can go by their behaviour. I was wondering whether to bathe their legs and brush them to try to get rid of a bit of the crud underneath the scales and then use Vaseline or Sudocrem as I've read online. Or should I just keep on with the spray? I have a photo, but don't know how to post it... any advice really appreciated. They're all laying brilliantly at the moment, so I don't want to consult the vet and end up throwing away loads of lovely eggs!

Edited by Guest

One of my girls had a real big clump of dried up stuff on her leg.

I put the sudocrem on daily for a few days and the whole thing came off a couple of days later.

If I remember, I think I used it every day for a week and then dropped it down to once a week for a while.

I hope that helps :D

Others may have better ideas but that is what I found works.

Once you have treated scaly leg mite you won't see any improvement until the scales are shed naturally. With some breeds this happens at the annual moult, but with others (Orpingtons) they shed the leg scales very infrequently and we had one cock who shed his at year 7. The important thing is it doesn't appear to get any worse after treatment.

We brush up the scales with a solution of Benzol Benzoate, which is the human treatment for scabies. This was prescribed by our vet and there is no egg withdrawal. But it may need to be done several times and so we have found simply suffocating the mites with olive oil brushed under the scales works just as well.

Once you have treated scaly leg mite you won't see any improvement until the scales are shed naturally. With some breeds this happens at the annual moult, but with others (Orpingtons) they shed the leg scales very infrequently and we had one cock who shed his at year 7. The important thing is it doesn't appear to get any worse after treatment.

We brush up the scales with a solution of Benzol Benzoate, which is the human treatment for scabies. This was prescribed by our vet and there is no egg withdrawal. But it may need to be done several times and so we have found simply suffocating the mites with olive oil brushed under the scales works just as well.

Benzyl Benzoate is also in Sudocrem, which is why it works for this. If you treat your hens with a spot-on containing Ivermectin* every quarter as a preventative for lice and mites, then they shouldn't get scaly leg mites.

You can also apply the Nettex spray by pouring some into a small container, then using a baby's toothbrush to brush it upwards under the scales.

Some folks get worried as the raised appearance of the scales doesn't change after the mites have been killed, and they think that there's still an issue. If the crusts and irritation has gone, then the mites will have too, and as mentioned above, the scales will start to look better over time.

*not licensed for use on poultry in the UK