dmjsky

Miniature silver appleyards - newbie

Hello,

We are complete novices to ducks so I am in the process of doing as much research as I can before we get some. We have managed to source a preloved Eglu Go for them. From looking at the various breeds, I think a bantam would be the best for our garden and I was looking at the miniature silver appleyards as a good breed to go for.

My main question is, if I can manage to find some (which is proving a real problem) will they be happy together if I get two females? I am reluctant to get a drake as well as I thought it was better to start simple rather than throwing breeding into the equation as well. But I also, don't want the ducks to be unhappy.

Could you also tell me how old the ducklings should be when I buy them (ideally I would like them as early as possible so that they get comfortable with us, but what age is preferable)?

Re the Eglu Go, apart from taking out the roosting bars, is there anything else that it would be advisable to do to make it more suitable for ducks?

Many thanks for your help

Welcome to the forum :D

Whereabouts are you? Someone may be able to help you source ducks.

As you say, take the roosting tray out for the ducks and the Go will be fine. The bigger run you can give them the better as ducks tend to be much messier than chickens.

You will be fine to have two ducks without a drake but if you do get one, drakes aren't loud (the females are) but they can be territorial. If you want females you'll be best to get slightly older ducklings so they are sexed and off heat.

Even if you get point of lay they will tame quite quickly as that's when they start to calm down once they're laying; lots of treats and they'll soon be friendly!

Hi there I wonder if anyone can advise we have 2 in appleyards from 2 days old from incubator ... My son is autistic and they are his babies .. but they are exhibiting odd behaviour well I think for ducks lol ... They will not settle without a fluffy bed .. if it's say rough material or heaven helps us straw !!! They sqwark flap run round their pen etc .. as soon as a soft cloth or even worse my son gives them my mohair cushions !! They settle ... They will not touch "dirty" water by dirty I mean I out their bowls/baths  out they get in do their thing and then sqwark till I change it to drink !! Im having to resort to 3 water areas 1 each and then a water bath for drinking .. I did not think this was normal behaviour? Also we take them out they have their own pram yes I know but these are my son's babies ... And as soon as we sit down in a cafe they start demanding very loudly and vocal for whatever we are eating it's so bad we now have a picnic bag for them to settle them so we can eat .. baring in mind they have always got in the pram water and duck crumb food etc this seams like a deliberate issue with wanting our food (obv I am aware that they can and can't eat it's not about that it's about their "cleverness" to know we're in a cafe and about to  eat..

They also won't settle without spa music .. I can hear you laughing ... But my son always has nightime music to help him sleep but if that's not playing they won't sleep !! 

Obv they think we're mum and dad lol and appreciate they cry when out of sight I get that but I did not think ducks would be so blummin fussy and we'll clever ?! Is this normal ? They both compete for cuddles when they are angry annoyed let's say iv given them no mealworms when they know the bag is there they know which bag is which lol.. they peck me and moan loudly.. till they get what they want .. they however when they are getting what they want curl their head up around my arm and snuggle they deff don't peck me in temper lol I did not realise they were so precocious!! They are 7 weeks old ... I appreciate it's going to be a case of my making my own bed and spoiling them but all I had read no where had said they were so demanding it was all easy to look after etc etc 

They are currently watching TV on their fluffy bed heaven forbid I change the channel !!! 

Is it that all ducks are so fussy and clever and observant if so we should be warning new owners it's a 247 job and costly!! They will be wanting cavier next !!! Had I known they would have had a straw bed from day one lol ..