redfrock

And today we rescued ....

a pair of degus :roll::shock::D

Not my doing I hasten to add but OH's :shock:

Thankfully they came with a cage so no added expense, but they were desperately wanting when it came to things to chew, hay, nest box etc ... which of course we have plenty of given the menagerie we have acquired

Oh and guess what ... aubiose goes in the bottom of their cage too :lol:

OH is already planning how he is going to adapt and extend the cage.

In the meantime we had to give everything a very thorough clean. They are only 6 months old. Yet another case of someone going into P@H (who seem to be the main providers of them) and not thinking about the responsibility that comes with them ....

Well done you...you always seem to be rescuing something!! :wink::lol:

i might be dim.....but what are they???? :oops::oops:

I know .... but that is enough now! Honest! Otherwise I will have to either give up work (I wish) or get up at an ungodly hour to ensure they are all clean & fed before I leave the house :lol:

Degus look like big gerbils but are not nocturnal and are actually part of the cavy family

here is a photo of one (not ours)

PumpRun1.jpg

Strangely enough we have always said that if ever we decided we wanted children we would foster - I guess that is a kind of rescuing to

Aren't they lovely :) We rescued 1 earlier in the year and have since got another 2 to keep the original one company. Pippin was rescued at Christmas and was in a heck of a state as people spot them in P@H and the like but don't have any understanding of what their requirements are or even how to handle them correctly. They have very specific dietary requirements as they are diabetes dormant which means that if they are not given the correct food they will quickly develop diabetes.

They are absolutely adorable though - she lifts her front leg up so we can tickle underneath it then swaps to the other one. It's hilarious to watch. She is going to be on the RSPCSA Christmas Cards this year too so watch out for her.

This is her on the RSPCSA website :lol:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=happytails&marker=1&articleId=1182868806264