Egluntyne

Kefir

Anyone else enjoying this? My sister got me on to it and I love it. It has calmed my gut down marvellously, and another real benefit is that I now sleep like a log.

It is a fermented milk drink made with 'grains' which aren't actually grains at all, but are in fact a matrix of yeast, probiotics and beneficial bacteria. Looks a bit like tiny cauliflower florets.

The drink tastes unusual at first, a bit strong and 'yeasty' but you soon get used to it. In fact! I find myself quite addicted to it.

There are also water kefir grains available for those who don't like/can't drink milk.

One more question... is it acidic like Kombucha? Friends have brewed their own Kombucha and discovered on a recent dental check-up that it was pitting the enamel on their teeth. Their dentist had seen this before and advised drinking it through a straw.

I am keen to try this Kefir - will get some and all the gubbins and report back.

I have my kit and grains, popped them in some milk last night - it's like growing a pet! Nothing much had happened by this morning, but then I had expected my first batch to be slow to start. My kitchen isn't massively warm so I wrapped the jar in an oven glove to keep it warm, and may need to think about re-locating it.

I am using organic milk from a local dairy farm

Will update with progress :D

Well, it didn't seem to be doing much last night, but this morning it looks thicker and I can feel the grains are bigger, which I couldn't yesterday. The liquid tastes as if it is fermenting too. I will leave it a little longer as it doesn't look obviously fermented like the reference pics on the Happy Kombucha site.

I reckon that it might be ready this evening :D

I looked again at lunchtime today and the liquid was much thicker, more like a yoghurt drink, so I strained it off and popped the bottle in the fridge. Refilled the jar with the grains and another measure of milk. Al pretty straight forward and no worries about the process, I just need to bear in mind that my kitchen is pretty cool, so it will take longer to ferment.

I find the kilner stoppered jar a real pain when emptying it; the lid keeps getting in the way, so I will use a Kilner jar I have which has a screw on lid that I can easily leave off.

I plan to drink the Kefir this evening as I understand that it helps you sleep.

Goodness, DM...this is better than a soap opera! I keep coming back to see how you and your jar of grainy goodness are getting on!

Seriously though, it does sound like a bit of a faff....possibly like grow your own sourdough?! What equipment do you need? Can you buy it in kit form like you can for making cheese :think:

Without wishing to pry too much :oops: ...do you feel its doing you good? Did it help you sleep? I am tempted to give it a whirl but am not known for my patience (I'm the sort of person who gets up in the middle of the night to make sure that the self cleaning oven ...actually is!)

Haha... me too!

You can buy kits from the site that Eggers linked to, but all you really need is a jar with a non-metallic lid, a non-metallic spoon and sieve, something to cover it with - I use one of those glass covers in lace with crochet and glass beads around the edge. You'd need a bottle to keep it in when it's done.

No faff really as it just does everything itself, I just give it a little jiggle as I go past, then strain it when it's ready.

Is it doing me good? I suspect that it's early to tell and I am only having small amounts as they suggest that you start that way to let your gut get used to it. In the first couple of days, my tum did a lot of gurgling, but that has settled now. I sleep well anyway.... it's just abandoning the chores early enough to get enough kip that's my problem! :oops:

Today's was my 4th brew (I think) and it went really well; I think that the grains are hitting their stride now and acclimatising to my cool kitchen. This evening's was a thicker kefir, which suddenly matured; I had checked it early evening and it was still quite liquid and thin. Just looked, and it had thickened and there were some grains or lumpy bits floating on the top. Eggers, were these grains or curds?

I strained it and there are noticeably more grains now, so I started another batch and used a bit more milk this time. My aim is to gradually increase the amount that I brew, in line with how much my gut can take. I hope to be able to reach a level where I can have enough for myself to have a glass morning and evening, and for the dogs to have a bit each day. Once I have excess grains, I will either pass them on to a friend who wants to have a go, or eat them 8)

I am quite enjoying this, and analysing each batch to work out what went well or didn't. It's nice that i am able to use organic milk from a local herd, although I wish that I could easily get raw milk.

Has anyone tried making bread with their kefir?

I have looked at a few things online and it seems that you cut back a bit on the yeast, but otherwise add it as part of your liquid in the usual recipe.

Brewing is going well and I have enough grains to give some to the dogs yesterday, they like a bit of kefir with their morning mince, and seemed to enjoy the grains too. I do generally feel well, and my gut seems more settled, the only side effect is a bit of burping :oops:

I have to go to Bicester Village at some stage over the next couple of weeks (Penhaligons, Radley and L'Occitane! Christmas!) so will pop into Lakeland at Bicester and get a kit.......tried some in a bottle from Waitrose today; interesting! In the Daily Mail Gut Diet thing they seem to lump buttermilk and kefir together but I'm sure its not the same thing as, having made butter, the leftovers are not fermented.....or can they be :think: Confused.com!

Let me know if you want some 'grains'; I can pop them in the post to you.

TBH, there's not a lot in the kits that I found useful:

You need plastic (not metal) spoons

Don't use the Kilner jars or bottles with stoppers, which come in the kits - the stoppers get in the way when decanting and are difficult to clean. I have bought a couple of screw top Kilner jars and their screw top 'milk bottles'.

Use good quality milk - the better the milk, the better quality the Kefir.

But that's just my pennoworth :wink:

Thanks, DM. I'm guessing I'll just buy the jars that you suggest from Lakeland and plastic spoons. We always have organic milk as I heard, many moons ago, that is has higher levels of goodies due to the organic pastures - or did I just fall for the sales patter :wink: Sort of makes sense! I should imagine that whole rather than green or red milk is best to use?

I will Google basic kefir recipe too.......am feeling oddly nervous about embarking esp as I managed to kill a sourdough starter once; don't want to be a serial culinary murderer :doh:

Edited to add; have just looked on the amazing interweb and found that you can second ferment by adding a small amount of lemon or orange peel, garlic (!), dried fruits etc. Apparently it gives it a better flavour and mega intensifies the vitamins and minerals :dance: Mind you, the phrase 'running before you can walk' springs to mind as I havn't even got the 'kit' yet :roll: ! And yes please to some grains DM - big thanks! Can I message you when I am more organised? Having paid £1.65 for a small bottle today in Waitrose I think I'd best get going asap :whistle:

My kit is as follows:

2 glass jars for making it in (need to be larger than 300ml

Beaded food cover for when it's fermenting

2 measuring jugs, either glass or plastic

Plastic sieve

Couple of plastic spoons

Whole milk, preferably organic

Kefir grains

Now, Egluntyne may correct me, but I would suggest using the original recipe on her link to the Happy Kombucha site (they have an excellent FAQ section) and just get used to brewing it, which is VERY easy, and then build up so that you have the quantity that you need for daily use. I have a smallish glass twice a day, you may want to make it into a fruit/veg smoothie if that makes it more palatable for the boys.

I just add the grains to milk (tspn of grains per 250ml of milk) cover it and then wrap a tea cosy round the jar as my kitchen is chilly. I try to give it a wiggle or stir when I walk past. Your first couple of brews may take longer as your grains get going, but it will look like thick lumpy cream when it is ready. Sieve into a jug to separate out the grains and start a new jar with more milk. Bottle up the Kefir and pop it in the fridge.

I now use it in my morning smoothies, and for making bread. The dogs have a bit of kefir in their morning mince, as does the cat, and I even gave some to the chooks once

Thanks DM. Am taking YS to drumming this afternoon so will investigate Wilko in the spare half hour! Intrigued at the beaded cover - my granny and nanna had those! Will ordinary jar lids not work or must the air be able to circulate? Can the tea spoon be metal (ie; one tea spoon to 250ml milk) or are those the aforementioned plastic spoons :think: