Egluntyne

Kefir

Interesting - will give it a go when finally up and running.

After a very stressy day I went to Wilko whilst YS was drumming and zoned out whilst choosing the, hopefully, right stuff only to get to the till and find that the credit/debit card connection was down so I couldn't pay :twisted: . No time to go to the cash point as I had to collect YS and shop was closed by the time I'd picked him up :evil:

I wonder how easy it is to make your own Gin :shock:

Thanks DM. From the website I saw looks like adding things once it it 'off' the grains just gives it an additional 'boost' and they seem to be things that you'd add for flavour anyway - fruit, dried fruit but NOT garlic....don't get that one - bleh!

So what happens with the grains anyway...do they multiply in the ferment?

I went to Lakeland yesterday and now have everything apart from strainer. I can't seem to find anything with reasonably large holes; am guessing that a tea strainer is too small holed if the kefir is thickish? Have treid both Lakeland and a couple of local kitchen shops to no avail. What do you two use E and DM?

Hi happy kefir peeps. I started mine and left it for 48 hours, it looked well.lumpy and cottage cheese like. I strained it and discarded liquid after 24 hours twice and have now divided liquid between all. I blended it with tinned pear to make it palatable for kids to start off with,tasted ok,like natural yoghurt. My question is the stuff in sieve didn’t look at all cauliflower like or grainy,more like thick yoghurt. Do you think the grains are ok and should I leave it longer than 24 hours to get thick. The kitchen is really warm and I put a tea towel around it.

Golly had forgotten about this thread!

Shazzie - what's this with the rinse and repeat thing? Not heard of that

Mine have slowed down a bit with the really cold weather this last couple of days - the house isn't heated in the day when I am at work, nor at night, so the kitchen gets pretty chilly. I like mine like a thick drinking yoghurt, and I have it neat (through a wide straw to avoid tooth enamel erosion) or made into a fruit smoothie. I have had the odd fermentation where it seems to have separated with a watery layer on top - I am guessing that this is because I might have left it too long that time. Tasted fine though.

Good luck with yours Soapy :D