Luvachicken

Wobbly head again :(

One of my younger girls, Molly, has a slight wobble to her head, every now and then.

I had a chicken before who had a wobbly head and the vet could find nothing wrong and thought she had probably banged it on the run (she flew up to the roof one day)

I can't believe I have another one doing a similar thing.

I've looked Molly over and she seems fine.

She is eating and drinking and pooping normally.

The only thing I can see is that she is moulting quite badly along with the other 2 young ones.

It's kind of like a Parkinson's tremor and always to the same side :(

I'm wondering if she could have an ear infection ? Do they present with that ?

I am taking her to the vets tomorrow afternoon. I'd rather be told that she is fine and pay than find she is really poorly in a few days time.

Get some vitamin B into her - either NutriDrops, or a stronger concentration of Vit Boost in their water. That will probably sort it.

When they are moulting, it is best to fortify their pellets with some powdered Biotin (available from feed stores) just add a bit of cod liver oil to the pellets so that it sticks. Dried seaweed and alphalpha are both good nutrient boosts too.

Thanks everyone, you have all made me feel much better about her.

I do have some Nutri Drops but I think they might be out of date :( - I just checked, they are Feb 2015.

Thank goodness for Amazon Prime :D I just ordered some fresh and it will come tomorrow :dance:

I do have some dried seaweed but that it is out of date too :oops:

She has only been doing it for the last couple of weeks and that is when she started moulting, so fingers crossed this is the reason she is doing it.

Will let you know how we get on later tomorrow.

The out of date Nutridrops will be fine to add to their water like a tonic - don't waste it.

Let us know how she gets on - you might need to do this for 3-4 days. Also give them a bit of fresh greens at the end of the day - dark green ones like spinach or savoy cabbage.

One of my araucana bantams has been 'off' since her moult - nothing specific, but tonight she was in the run under one of the cubes and a bit miserable looking. I popped her in with the others and we'll see how she goes in the morning.

The out of date Nutridrops will be fine to add to their water like a tonic - don't waste it

What dilution rate do you think I should use ?

One of my araucana bantams has been 'off' since her moult - nothing specific, but tonight she was in the run under one of the cubes and a bit miserable looking. I popped her in with the others and we'll see how she goes in the morning.

Aww, I hope she is OK too.

Sadly she died, which is what I expected. It happens, and I hope to get to the Reading Bantam show at the end of February to get some new stock

Oh no, that's a shame :(

On a lighter note, Molly is fine.

As I thought, the vet couldn't find anything wrong.

She said if it were her ears then she would be quite wobbly - which she isn't.

She checked her eyes and her chest and she weighed her. Then she checked down her beak.

Everything points towards a very healthy chicken :D

She is going to email a chicken vet friend of hers just to make sure there is nothing she missed.

Let's hope it is just the moulting that is causing it.

I haven't seen her myself, but pretty sure that it's just the neurological problems sometimes caused by a heavy moult - get her on those B vits. Some mashed up hard-boiled egg wouldn't go amiss either.

Next year, try to remember to have some Biotin in stock, and add it to their feed before they start to moult. It's really cheap and works wonders.

Gave her the Nutri drops as soon as we got back from the vet although she didn't quite have it all.

I mixed it on some sunflower hearts but it was getting dark and she was desperate to get back to the others.

As soon as I put her in the run she wobbled her head :roll:

Got some eggs from the farm so will cook her one tomorrow and add the Nutri drops and hope that she eats it.

For now I will look up the Biotin.

Does it matter who eats it ? For instance, the older girls moulted earlier - October I think - and the younger ones are moulting now.

This is what you need - it's an equine product. :D There are many brands and you ought to be able to find it in a feed store or online. If I had more, I would send you some, but I am nearly out myself.

Aww, that's really kind of you to say that if you had enough, you would send me some :D

I will see what I can find, now I know what I'm looking for, thanks again x

She is going to email a chicken vet friend of hers just to make sure there is nothing she missed.

My phone rang this afternoon and it was the vet :shock:

She apologised for not having phoned sooner but said she had finally heard from her chicken person.

Between them, they decided she has nothing serious, but said that some chicks have brains that don't develop properly and can lead to something like a twitch later on.