hjmeu

Leave Chicken door open?!

Hi there,

I've a simple question: Can I leave the eglu cube door open all day & night (e.g. when not at home for one or two days)?

We have a walk in chicken run attached, so there should not be any danger... and I don't want to buy any automatic door opener ...

What so you mean? Any hints or experience very welcome ...

Regards from Germany!

I always leave the door open to the Eglu.  I work away from home a couple of nights per week (I have a walk in run with roof) and the hens are fine.  When it is really cold, I ask my neighbour to close the door but the Eglu is in a sheltered spot and the hens seem fine. 

1 minute ago, Luvachicken said:

Mine too.

Just to add that mine are getting up at 6.15 am already and they get up even earlier in the summer.

The reason why my door stays closed most of the time. Especially in summer when they would start stumbling around in the dawn at 4:30 in the morning. With the accompanying complaints.

I used to leave it open when I had a WIR, never had any problems until I forgot to shut the door to the WIR :( So we've got a Hentronix door opener as a fail safe. I think as long as your WIR is secure they'll be fine - it won't be too cold.