Strawberrybex

Injured girlie - fox attack?

Our little girl Molly was attacked tonight. We have cleaned the wounds and put her back to bed. We put them in the pen and when we went to lock the hutches it seems something still got her. We have 8 girls all together and the others are fine. Molly is our friendliest - is this a fox? Very worried mother hen 😢

83C899A7-4351-4B48-870A-DB4EF773AC1B.jpeg

• Sad 1

I would imagine one of the other girls has pecked her. Is she bottom of the pecking order? Once cleaned if you can see where the blood is coming from, I would spray or use a cotton bud with purple spray as the others will continue to peck, just be careful around her eyes

I agree with Ursula123; one of the other girls has pecked her. This behaviour is triggered when hens come into lay and defend their food supply. She was either attacked at the feeder or cornered and attacked, perhaps even in the nest box which could be seen as territorial with some breeds. This problem subsides as the season progresses but the solution now is to increase the number of feeders and drinkers and either increase run space significantly, or provide perches in the run where she can jump up to escape. A pecked comb can bleed an awful lot, so clean her up and make sure the bleeding stops, otherwise the blood may attract more attention. We use 'plastic skin' on combs, but be very careful indeed to avoid contact with her eyes.