Natspringy

Wobbly sick chicken please help!

Hello all,

Desperate for help! Really concerned about my daughter's chicken.  I think She's been broody all week. Has come out to eat and drink a bit but not masses.  Been trying to break was about to do broody cage.

Today got her out and noticed that she' s so wobbly :( she staggers especially if still. At first I thought she'd hurt her leg but now seems more unstable.

Not sure what is going on. Don't think egg bound, can't see mites, trying to get her to eat today.  She's had some mash and a bit of wheetabix  (only thing she wanted) managed to prepet some water and vits into her bit she' still very wobbly and not herself. 

Not sure what to do! At present we have her inside in the house in a dog cage, on soft towel. Been going into feed and water every few hours, radio 4 to sooth. But she seems no better. Given egg, raw egg, mash, Water, spaghetti as usually a favourite; no luck :( .Planning vets tomorrow although worried the drive will be too much for her.

Have I missed anything?? Anything I can try? She's our baby; raised her from day one... Just don't know what to do.

Thank you so much for your time.

Really appreciate it x

Sorry to hear she’s poorly.

Have you given her a good once over? Feel her abdomen (should be firm, but not swolen and definitely not squishy), feel her crop (should feel bits of food, but everything should move around. Also should not be squishy), feel her breastbone (you are supposed to feel it, but it shouldn’t be very pronounced/sharp). Did you check her poo? Anything abnormal?

Are you sure she was broody? A broody chicken will defend the nest when you open the coop. She will flatten herself and screech. A sick chicken might just hang around the nest for some peace and quiet.

When did you last worm them and with what?

For now, not much else you can do apart from keeping her comfortable. I would ring a vet in the morning if it was my chicken.

Thank you for your advice. From YouTube vids i think she was broody as she made a raptor like noise and raised all her feathers. 

I need to worm her just read another thread and realised what I've been doing wasn't good enough..Must purchase some now.

Yes. I will call the vet in the morning. Was worried the journey would be too much for her but think I have to.

Thanks so much. 

Yes, Verm-x is a rather misleading product I have to say. But it is as effective as sticking a tea bag on a broken leg.

You can also ask the vet about deworming. I get some liquid drops from my vet, to be administered in their beak. But then again, I’m in the Netherlands and different rules apply here. (Never found any rules to be honest... we don’t have a DEFRA equivalent.) I have noticed that liquid dewormers work faster than the feed based ones. But I would get advice from a vet about this.

Marek’s disease is a risk for younger fowl. Although my vet thinks one of my chickens died from Marek’s when she was was at least 2 years old. It’s a virus that can affect the movement of a chickens. Often shown as paralysis of limbs. It could explain the wobblyness of your hen. But then again, I’m definitely not a vet.

Vet thinks it's exposure from brooding and that she needs to rest up and stay warm. Hopefully she should recover.  He said good heart and no signs of neurological illness! Phew.  Was worried mareks too. Fingers crossed.

Off to make porridge and scrambled eggs.  Any other remedies will be most welcome! 

Thanks all :)