We've just bought a second hand eglu cube MK1 and our new rescue hens arrived yesterday.

They're all setting in nicely, but I've noticed this morning that the sawdust we had in the nest box has fallen out of the hole in the bottom. 

Is there meant to be another tray inside as well?

image.jpg

No this is it. It’s a common problem and there are threads on here about how to deal with it. I’ve cut the long sides out of 4 pint plastic milk cartons and just placed them over the holes under the bedding in mine. Some still falls through but not too bad.

I used to have a thin plank of wood, which was better at stopping stuff falling through but I had to get rid of both that and my added wooden perch when I got red mite last summer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mullethunter said:

. I’ve cut the long sides out of 4 pint plastic milk cartons and just placed them over the holes under the bedding in mine.

This is what I've done but have added screws to the milk plastic to make it heavier and to keep it in place.

No escaped aubiose so far unless they are having a massive ding dong over whose turn it is to lay an egg :lol:

You can get non-slip matting from Amazon and tape that into place with some duct tape: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/MULTIPURPOSE-ANTI-SLIP-UNDERLAY-SUITABLE-SourceDIY®/dp/B01NAUKJEO/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528647266&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=mesh+tape&psc=1 That'll prevent the bedding falling through the gap while still allowing the air to circulate through the cube, which is what we did. :)

Edited by AndyRoo