The Dogmother

Which poultry mags do you read?

OK, so doing a bit of a straw poll here:

• Which poultry/chicken keeping mags do you read?
  • Do you read something related such as Smallholder mag?
  • What sort of articles interest you most, and what information do you like to see i.e. seasonal tips, problem-tackling pointers?

I know what I 'think' folks want to read, but it would be nice to hear your opinions. Yes, I am back writing copy :D and want it to be what people want to hear about.

Well I used to read Practical Poultry and Fancy Fowl, but not regularly, the local hybrid supplier used to sell any spare copies of the previous years worth off in January, cheaply!

I found Practical Poultry very good when I was starting out, particularly for health tips and comparisons of coops/feeds etc.  But then they just seemed to repeat the articles and add more photos and it was all too light and fluffy for me.  FF is much more serious, and I would follow it for breed advice, contacts, good breeding practice and showing.  I now read Aviculture (or something like that), a Dutch mag, in English, digital copy only which has articles on pigeons and show results mostly, with some serious stuff as well.

I don't read other mags, but if I had more land and was starting out with some other livestock I probably would.

I have no real preference, but digital is super quick, especially as I am in Portugal.  I used to keep the FF hard copy as I could often remember where to find detailed articles of particular interest (normally to do with breeding).

I get Country Smallholding.  I've been going through back copies ripping out useful things for the move.  I can't stand Kate Humble though - thankfully she's not been writing in there recently.  Don't like digital, prefer paper so I get it delivered monthly, although it does email me with the latest copy - but I tend to just flick, whereas paper I like to curl up in the chair and mull over it - a little more difficult with the laptop.  And sometimes I see young master Lewis and sometimes I see Dogmother in there.  Fancy that!:lol:

IMO they’re too expensive for what you get, and that just seems to be rehashed every so often and I find I can get any info I need on the internet. The only time I read any is when I get a free copy of Your Chickens very kindly sent to me by the Chicken Keepers Consortium Instagram group.