Natspringy

To free range or not to free range

Hello all,

This is a pretty trivial one but one I'd love other thoughts on....

Our chooks have a very good sized WIR which they were more than content in.  However we have been letting them free range when we are home and can supervise (foxes about) as they love foraging and we had a broody to break so they were out whole days to do that. 

But they now clamour to come out ALL DAY LONG and wait by the gate. Which I get and don't mind but we are going away for two weeks and I'm concerned that they will struggle being in all tje time when we are away as my neighbours aren't comfortable free ranging them and they are very tricky to get back in. So what I'm trying to decide (sorry essay!) is if maybe they should be let out less now in the 3 weeks leading up to us going so it's the new norm? Or if that is in fact going to make the 2 weeks more boring for them as they've already been stuck in more??? I keep swapping and changing trying to decide the mind of a chicken 😂so am hoping other chicken owners might have some insights for me!

Thanks for reading, much appreciated :)

It's hard isn't it, to take something away.

I'm sure mine would love to come out but I face the same dilemma for the times when they can't - so they don't.

I'm sure yours will soon get used to being shut in. I would start now.

Give them loads of things to keep them busy, whole cabbages, treat balls and more perches and maybe an extra dust bath.

The more things you can keep them distracted with the more they will forget that they want to be outside.

I'm sure they will create to start with but they will soon love all the new things they have to play with.

• Thanks 1

I would keep free ranging them as you have been. They’ll be fine being suddenly shut in, particularly as Luvachicken says if you give them things to do. Mine are always at the gate waiting to be let out if they know we’re home, but I’ve seen them when they don’t know I’m there and they’re just doing other things. Tricksy they are!

• Thanks 1

I agree they definitely want to come out when they can see you and will be occupied otherwise when they can't.

Ours free range as much as we can, usually evenings and weekends as we know foxes are around. As long as they have enough room in the run they'll be fine :) 

• Thanks 1

Little benches make great play things - mine have 2 that I got from Robert Dyas - my girls sit on them, perch on the arms and perch on the back of it, plus it just about fits my bottom to have chicken cuddles :wink:

At the time they were £19 but I don't know if Robert Dyas still sells them.

• Thanks 1

Our hens are shut in their WiR overnight and we let them out first thing in the morning where they have a large outdoor space protected by an electric fence. They put themselves to bed, so we just go out at night and shut them up again.

Maybe see if they could get an arrangement like that maybe? Personally I would never not use an electric fence again, first because of safety, but second because I find foxes just chewed through the other nylon ones as if they were butter and I decided they were just too expensive to keep fixing and replacing - so a good shock should give the fox a message not to chew through my nets again!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

Our hens are shut in their WiR overnight and we let them out first thing in the morning where they have a large outdoor space protected by an electric fence. They put themselves to bed, so we just go out at night and shut them up again.

Maybe see if they could get an arrangement like that maybe? Personally I would never not use an electric fence again, first because of safety, but second because I find foxes just chewed through the other nylon ones as if they were butter and I decided they were just too expensive to keep fixing and replacing - so a good shock should give the fox a message not to chew through my nets again!!

Thank you. Sounds like a great set up. I saw your picture yesterday. They look very secure.  Ours only free range when we are about due to foxes..Not sure I could create something secure enough even with electric. And might not work with the dog but definitely something to mull over long term....

They do currently have a big fun filled WIR and when I'm not there do seem happily occupied in there!  

• Like 1

On 04/06/2018 at 8:53 PM, Natspringy said:

Thank you. Sounds like a great set up. I saw your picture yesterday. They look very secure.  Ours only free range when we are about due to foxes..Not sure I could create something secure enough even with electric. And might not work with the dog but definitely something to mull over long term....

They do currently have a big fun filled WIR and when I'm not there do seem happily occupied in there!  

We bought our electric fence kit from Flytes of Fancy along with the battery case, and the battery from Amazon. They're expensive to set up, but totally worth it IMHO. I keep inspecting the fence every day to see if there's any chewing of the wires and, if there has been, the fox has obviously been blown out of his socks before he's done any damage! Our non-electrified fence seemed to need repairing at least once a fortnight because he'd come along and chew through it.

I've also deployed several more tricks: some anti-fox scent, motion detecting lights around the run, and sonic devices which are meant to deter them. I'm also going to buy a life size, realistic looking fox statue. I don't know if it's true but I'd read if a fox sees another fox in the garden, it'll run away because it thinks it has stepped onto someone else's turf!

• Like 1