Popcornpie1

Woodchips stopping door from closing?

Hi, I have a classic eglu with a run attached. I recently put wood chippings in the run which is working well but I'm finding it difficult to shut the door at night. The wood chips get stuck in the groove at the bottom of the door. Has anyone come up with an ingenious way of solving this problem?

At the moment I am using a combination of a bamboo cane poked through the side of the run (very tricky!) as well as putting my hand in through the egg hatch (disturbing my 3 sleepy chickens!) to brush off what I can reach. I'm guessing this is going to be even more tricky on a dark winter's night!

Help!

25 minutes ago, Popcornpie1 said:

Hi, I have a classic eglu with a run attached. I recently put wood chippings in the run which is working well but I'm finding it difficult to shut the door at night. The wood chips get stuck in the groove at the bottom of the door. Has anyone come up with an ingenious way of solving this problem?

At the moment I am using a combination of a bamboo cane poked through the side of the run (very tricky!) as well as putting my hand in through the egg hatch (disturbing my 3 sleepy chickens!) to brush off what I can reach. I'm guessing this is going to be even more tricky on a dark winter's night!

Help!

It's not a very ingenious way of doing it, but when the chipping gets in the way for me I just kick it away with my foot. :)

Do you have a picture of your set-up? Does your door open outwards or inwards?

Hahaha:D I can't kick it because I can't reach it! The eglu is attached to the run which is quite long. I can just about reach the door from the end of the run using a long handled rake. I think it's a bit of a design fault tbh. The door closes by turning a handle on top of the eglu and then pushing it down to lock it. The door opens outwards into the run (where all the chips are!) 

I've read on here that some people leave the door open at night but I'm scared to do that cos there are foxes around.

I will try and post a picture tomorrow but its just a standard classic eglu with a run attached. I'm sure there must be others out there who have had the same problem so I'm just hoping someone has come up with a solution. Till then I'll keep on with my bamboo stick!O.o

33 minutes ago, Popcornpie1 said:

Hahaha:D I can't kick it because I can't reach it! The eglu is attached to the run which is quite long. I can just about reach the door from the end of the run using a long handled rake. I think it's a bit of a design fault tbh. The door closes by turning a handle on top of the eglu and then pushing it down to lock it. The door opens outwards into the run (where all the chips are!) 

I've read on here that some people leave the door open at night but I'm scared to do that cos there are foxes around.

I will try and post a picture tomorrow but its just a standard classic eglu with a run attached. I'm sure there must be others out there who have had the same problem so I'm just hoping someone has come up with a solution. Till then I'll keep on with my bamboo stick!O.o

Okay, I think I have a visualisation of what you're talking about. I take it you're using the original Eglu as opposed to a Cube or a Go Up? Could you use a rake or something maybe?

How enclosed is the entrance to your Eglu? I have a cube and I used to get paranoid about leaving it open at night but as it's attached to a WiR and it's on patio stone so a fox can't get in, I now just leave it open all the time. The only time I close it is if it's the middle of winter and absolutely freezing outside.

11 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

If you cover the run, why not switch to aubiose?  I prefer it to chipping anyway.  Much easier to keep clean. 

Is yours covered with a 'solid' roof, or just a tarp? I was thinking of switching to it over bark, but I'm afraid Aubiose will become sodden and compost alarmingly quickly.

5 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

Only if it gets wet.  But so will bark if the run isn’t covered.   And it takes a long time to dry out I’ve found.  

I think our run may be too open to the elements for auboise - it has covers on three sides but that doesn't keep heavy rain out for long. Plus it's far more expensive than bark. Maybe I'll try a flax alternative instead.

Yes, you can use similar products.  But I’ve found the hardwood bark more expensive than aubiouse.  And it needs changing more often.  Softwood chips are cheaper but not recommended for chickens. I only change the aubiouse in the run every 4 months or so. 

As for covering the run, I use clear tarp on the cube run, and the WIR.  All held in plac3 by bungees. I put log roll round the edge on the outside to keep the aubiouse in.  I also use the wavy clear plastic on the side of the WIR again held in place with bungees.  I take these off it’s hot to allow more air circulation. 

On the eglu classic I used 2 sheets of wavy clear plastic, slightly overlapping at the top ( idea copied from ANH! ) then log roll again on the outside.  Whatever you use, you have to balance keeping the run dry with plenty of ventilation.  

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

Yes, you can use similar products.  But I’ve found the hardwood bark more expensive than aubiouse.  And it needs changing more often.  Softwood chips are cheaper but not recommended for chickens. I only change the aubiouse in the run every 4 months or so. 

As for covering the run, I use clear tarp on the cube run, and the WIR.  All held in plac3 by bungees. I put log roll round the edge on the outside to keep the aubiouse in.  I also use the wavy clear plastic on the side of the WIR again held in place with bungees.  I take these off it’s hot to allow more air circulation. 

On the eglu classic I used 2 sheets of wavy clear plastic, slightly overlapping at the top ( idea copied from ANH! ) then log roll again on the outside.  Whatever you use, you have to balance keeping the run dry with plenty of ventilation.  

I might give it a go after the bark next needs replacing then.

Thanks for all the replies. I've had a look at aubiose but as SeramaSilly says, I think it will still get stuck in the door grooves. It looks like for now I will have to keep using the garden cane to flick the wood chips away! Unless anyone out there has a different solution?

8 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Most here aren’t too fond of bark. Apparently goes mushy/mucky when wet and tends to go mouldy quick. I would stick to chips if I were you.

Yeah, I know a lot of people don't like it. If it's persistently rainy it composts quite quickly - but I've never had an issue with any (visible) mould. I've got enough remaining for one large change out, so I'll do that one, but then I'm thinking of switching to this flax bedding which is designed for horses, although my friend uses it for her chickens too. https://www.horsebedding.co.uk/equisorb/ - the pallets of 36 bales cost around £250, but they will easily see us through an entire year, so it works out about the same cost. It'll look a bit nicer than bark chipping too.

3 hours ago, Popcornpie1 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I've had a look at aubiose but as SeramaSilly says, I think it will still get stuck in the door grooves. It looks like for now I will have to keep using the garden cane to flick the wood chips away! Unless anyone out there has a different solution?

Could you try a small rake?