Janey4

Routine upkeep of a covered run on hard standing?

Our last two flocks were at my Mums and they pretty much free ranged exclusively and their run, which was uncovered but surrounded by trees/hedges was just on bare earth, never really seemed to get *that* muddy/smelly. 

My set up is going to be a covered run on flags with hardwood chips, which my hens will be in while I’m out and but what is everyone’s daily/weekly/monthly routines to keep it in as good condition as possible?

Ive read quite a bit about hardwood chips on earth and also about them on hard standing and them being raked back/the ground hosed etc, but how does that work? Where does th poo that’s not been poo picked go? And the water if you hose? Surely it will just become a sloppy, stinky mess of sodden chips? I can’t quite get my head round it!

Most here have a run that is dry, meaning covered against elements. Don’t think many hose done the chips, or maybe occasionally. Some do use powders like Stalosan, that keep it from smelling and turning nasty.

but my run is on earth... someone who does have a walk in run will soon be along

Mine is covered on Concrete but I use soft animal bedding.  With hardwood chips I would remove obvious soiling and clumped woodchip daily and rake weekly.  Try and keep it dry then droppings will turn to dust and fall to the bottom.  You can rake the chippings out of the way every few weeks/month to remove stuff from underneath and sprinkle a sanitiser like Stalosan.  

I personally wouldn't hose it as it's so much easier to clear droppings when they've dried and dropped off the bedding.  I do clear everything and hose down yearly.

You're going to get fit xD

Edited by Plum

I have hardwood chips on paving slabs. My run is covered on top and the majority of 2 sides by glass clear tarpaulins / Omlet covers, but it still gets wet in some places if rain blows from the other directions. It’s 3m x 2m attached to a 2m Cube run and my girls are shut in there whenever we’re both at work (most week days 8-4:30).

I pick out the poo I can see most days and sprinkle ground sanitising powder every couple of months. And I replace most of the wood chip roughly once per year. That it really. It stays pretty clean and tidy and never smells.

I think aubiose might be a bit lightweight and get soggy unless your run is totally dry (I may be wrong though I don’t use it). Hardwood chip is great but initially quite expensive and does take a long time to compost. I tend to put the odd bits I’ve poo picked in the compost, but when I do a big change I use larger amounts to mulch and tidy a bit of the garden.

Well my run has walls on two sides and will have a roof, but I still don't think it will be totally dry, so think woodchip might be the best option and what I had initially planned on doing. I just quite like Aubiose - its easy to get hold of and I imagine quite easy to skip out day to day, but yes I think you are right if it does get wet its going to be a pain.....

The roof is on, I've painted the whole thing twice and my woodchips are being delivered today (fingers crossed!) so we are going hen shopping tomorrow and I am so excited! There wasn't much point to my post but I just wanted to share with like minded people as my husband is a bit 'blah' about getting the chickens and I am beside myself!! Haha!

I've got a couple of branches and logs and will do a dust bath, but is there anything else I could/should add to the run for when they are confined?

Mine is much the same as Plum's routine; runs are slabbed with Aubiose on top, and covered with clear waterproof covers. I sprinkle with Ground Sanitising Powder weekly and rake it over, then clear out when it starts to look manky, so roughly 6-8 weeks, then I sprinkle the slabs with GSP and lay new bales of Aubiose. Doesn't take long at all.