Cat tails

Chicken swap

I’m seriously considering giving up on Pickwick. Although she is a very pretty bird and even a relative good layer, the noise she’s making is driving me insane. She doesn’t bok, or pok or however you want describe average chicken sounds, she screeches. A high pitched raspy screech. And she will screech about everything. From thinking she is owed food to needing to lay and finding it difficult to get setteld.

On days I’m stressed, I have considered locking her in a cat box in the dark shed, to even thinking about culling her there and then. She is a rescue hen and I’m pretty sure she was dumped for the intense screeching...

Soooo... I’m thinking of asking my boarding place, where I got her the first place, the take her back and hopefully swapping her for a quieter model.

Oh dear! I have a screecher - so you have my every sympathy. It's an awful noise! Thankfully mine doesn't do it continuously, otherwide she'd have to go. Mostly she does it when she's cross at a wood pigeon in her line of sight (though it's variable whether she gets cross with them or not) or when she's laid. She's older now and doesn't lay all the time, maybe only once or twice a week. Never thought I'd be grateful for less eggs :D

Hahahaha!

Mine actually does the normal egg song, that sounds like the rest, so she can do chicken sounds. But I actually have flung items to her head to make her stop.

They will go for boarding in the near future, so that would be a swapping moment if any. Will ask the guy what he thinks of my idea.

Cat tails you are not the only one with a gobby girl.

My Lily has turned into a goose.

It is driving us all mad.

She honks all day long and then the others all start joining in with some other racket.

She has even started honking just before they all go to bed, which she never used to do.

We have resorted to buying a pump water plant sprayer thing and whenever the honking starts she gets a squirt.

In fact if any of them make a noise that is too loud they get a squirt.

It seems to be working but I don't like doing it.

I'm hoping it will calm down next week, when the summer holidays start and I will be here most days, trigger at the ready.

:lol:

Pickwick is literally incapable of making normal chicken sounds it seems. But she is also a stressy layer. Half of the time she will nervously run around screeching. It’s almost like she is trying to find a spot and the coop isn’t it. On days I’m home, I lock her in the coop for half an hour and that normally sorts it, but the noise...

Ok so the swap is done! 

I brought the chickens to the boarding place and swapped Pickwick for, well... Pickwicktwo! He had a similar Partridge Dutch Bantam, but this one is definitely bigger. Stuck the other three in with Pickwick the second and stuck Pickwick the first in the pen with his other hens. Bit of fighting, but mostly a lot of ignoring.

Will see when I pick em up again if it worked out.

Picked up the chickens again and Pickwick2 was pottering with the others. So clearly it worked! Just got them home and Pickwick2 is calmly investigating everything. She is a big chook for technically being a bantam. But so far so good. She is currently investigating the coop and seems rather pleased.

Not sure what Pickwick2 wants out of a nesting box, but the one in the Go isn’t really it and woodchips are definitely not the right bedding. They need to be kicked out. Then once you have done that, you go and lay your egg in the dust bath... 

I have just given her a little wad of hay in the nesting box as she was pacing around and scratching all over the Go, but don’t think that qualified either...

• Like 1