Luvachicken

Can chickens have tomatoes ?

I really should know the answer to this having had chickens for 9.5 years now but I've never given them a tomato :oops:

Can I share some of my cherry tomatoes with my chickens ?

I have got confused because my Mum says her tortoise is only allowed the skin and the flesh of the tomato and not the seeds, but I'm sure I remember reading something about chickens only eating the seeds or not eating tomatoes at all :?

How many can they have, if they are allowed ?

My girls have tomatoes occasionally but they don’t like them as much as I thought they would. Cammie the young campine is very much enjoying sharing a plum with me every day when I get home from work at the moment and she also really likes elderberries.

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

I have to admit that one of the plants had grown through the run wire with a couple of tomatoes on.

My Mum was helping me pick them and she pulled the plant making the tomato fall off, to which Milly quickly devoured it.

She has been fine since eating it but I have been worrying about whether they should have them or not.

I could also do with a hand eating them :wink: 

• Haha 1

I think it also depends on colour - Squirt would dive into Sungolds (sweet toothed birdie I guess) but not the yellow ones.  She also liked small red tomatoes.  The other girls never bothered, so she had them all to herself.  That made it easy to identify the greenhouse tomato nicker - she scoffed the lower ones and really craned her neck to reach - spotted her doing it once!

• Haha 1