Natspringy

Treating tapeworm

Hello all,

So I just posted re my wormer not working but now I think I know why. I think it's tapeworm! After looking at many images 😷 and reading up I'm fairly convinced that's what it is. From my google it looks like flubervet doesn't treat tapeworms?! So I'm wondering what to use now? Will ask my vets too but not always the most chicken savvy!

As always thank you. 

This forum is a Godsend!

You'll need to get a faecal sample to the vet for analysis to get the correct wormer and dosage, but most vets usually use Febendazole, which is the active ingredient in Panacur. Please check first with your vet and get the correct concentration and dosage. You will need to withdraw the eggs from human consumption during the treatment and for 7 days afterwards. You will need to treat all of the flock, and I think you repeat again after 7 days, but can't remember clearly.

Some folks have experimented with horse wormers in the past, please don't be tempted to do this

When you say that your regular wormer isn't working, which one are you using and how are you using it?

• Thanks 1

I would try Ivermectin. I've not used this product yet, though I have ordered it, so I can only recommend based on my own research. It's advertised to be used for caged birds but people are using it very successfully for their chickens. Its like a three in one product. Kills the internal and external bugs/parasites. After years of using many different products to get rid of mites, lice and worms and not being fully seccessful with them, I've decided to try this product out. I ordered mine off of eBay(30ml for 15pounds) and I bought the 1% strength. Its liquid and you drip it on the back of the bare neck of the chicken. Selfsufficientme.com has a long extensive article about the product. He also has a very informative YouTube video about it. Dosage he uses is 1ml for regular sized  chickens and half that for bantams. Only need to use it once every 3 months. Its a chemical so egg withdraw is needed for about 5-7 days. Wish I could tell you from my own experience that this works but have just ordered. Should get it in the next couple of days then I'll treat my 30 chickens. Looks promising and I can let you know if it works for me. Best wishes : )

• Thanks 1

**Please note that Ivermectin isn't licensed fro use on poultry in the UK**

See my various threads regarding its use, and that of Ivomec Eprinex on birds; it is a reliable spot-on for ecto-parasites, so lice and mites, but is only a narrow spectrum wormer, and wouldn't rely on it to worm my birds; I always use Flubenvet. Anecdotal evidence is that it doesn't treat tape worms. I would refer to your vet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

You'll need to get a faecal sample to the vet for analysis to get the correct wormer and dosage, but most vets usually use Febendazole, which is the active ingredient in Panacur. Please check first with your vet and get the correct concentration and dosage. You will need to withdraw the eggs from human consumption during the treatment and for 7 days afterwards. You will need to treat all of the flock, and I think you repeat again after 7 days, but can't remember clearly.

Some folks have experimented with horse wormers in the past, please don't be tempted to do this

When you say that your regular wormer isn't working, which one are you using and how are you using it?

Thank you, really useful!

I used flubervet following instructions on side. But ten days later noticed worms in poo. 

The vets sent me to pets at home to get panicur and they had no idea. But I notice flubervet has the same active ingredient so I guess just as good? I was waiting three weeks between doses but I think I may have read doing them closer together for tape worm? 

Thanks so much all for the advice and help. 

1 hour ago, Chicklover said:

I would try Ivermectin. I've not used this product yet, though I have ordered it, so I can only recommend based on my own research. It's advertised to be used for caged birds but people are using it very successfully for their chickens. Its like a three in one product. Kills the internal and external bugs/parasites. After years of using many different products to get rid of mites, lice and worms and not being fully seccessful with them, I've decided to try this product out. I ordered mine off of eBay(30ml for 15pounds) and I bought the 1% strength. Its liquid and you drip it on the back of the bare neck of the chicken. Selfsufficientme.com has a long extensive article about the product. He also has a very informative YouTube video about it. Dosage he uses is 1ml for regular sized  chickens and half that for bantams. Only need to use it once every 3 months. Its a chemical so egg withdraw is needed for about 5-7 days. Wish I could tell you from my own experience that this works but have just ordered. Should get it in the next couple of days then I'll treat my 30 chickens. Looks promising and I can let you know if it works for me. Best wishes : )

Thank you. Hope it works.

Mine have had regular flubenvet pellets, and on one occasion repeated after 3 weeks when I saw worms in the poo in the first week. But not touched things in Amy’s poo. I meant to send off a sample but never got around to it. To be honest it’s only the one hen I’ve ever noticed them in (which admittedly is odd and if it is tapeworms I suppose I should assume they all have them?) and she seems completely healthy - she’s never laid more than a handful of eggs a year and in the last two years none which I think is why - so I’m loathed to use any more drugs if I can avoid it.

• Thanks 1

A couple of points worth noting:

• The presence or not of worms in the poo is no indication of whether you have a worm load; treat regularly with Flunbenvet anyhow.
  • If you think that your birds have persistent worms, or tape worms, then your first step should be to take a faecal sample to your vet, or send one off to Retfords. This will tell you which worms your bird/s have and what you should be using to treat them. It's best not to guess
  • Please don't rely on herbal/over the counter products to worm your birds - they are NOT licensed wormers and any possible effect is only anecdotal. I have personally seen flocks wiped out by folks who though they were worming, but were only using a herbal type product.
  • worming can be a bit strong on their digestive system - this is when you should use a herbal gut conditioner to protect and maintain their gut flora.

Sorry to be so specific, but I see a lot of problems with folks not worming properly, and birds dying unnecessarily

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

A couple of points worth noting:

• The presence or not of worms in the poo is no indication of whether you have a worm load; treat regularly with Flunbenvet anyhow.
  • If you think that your birds have persistent worms, or tape worms, then your first step should be to take a faecal sample to your vet, or send one off to Retfords. This will tell you which worms your bird/s have and what you should be using to treat them. It's best not to guess
  • Please don't rely on herbal/over the counter products to worm your birds - they are NOT licensed wormers and any possible effect is only anecdotal. I have personally seen flocks wiped out by folks who though they were worming, but were only using a herbal type product.
  • worming can be a bit strong on their digestive system - this is when you should use a herbal gut conditioner to protect and maintain their gut flora.

Sorry to be so specific, but I see a lot of problems with folks not worming properly, and birds dying unnecessarily

Thanks for the info. I had a chat with the vet this am and he told me to give them another dose now because of he life cycle of tapeworm. (So 2 weeks apart).

Out of interest Claire are the hens wiped out by the herbal product or the worm loads? I'll definitely worm regularly having seen how stubborn the worms are once in altho I was told every 6 weeks?  Seems a lot???!