Cat tails

Tips for London trip?

We are planning a trip to London again! For early next year.

So far we have a trip to the Harry Potter studios (a must for my little cousin) and thinking of visiting the Natural History Museum and St. Pauls. Also like to go to a musical, but it’s hard to find one that we either know or is actually playing at the time we are there.

Any good tips to go/see/do? I’m going with my mom and my 13 year old niece.

NHM is great. Science Museum is brilliant too especially with a young teenager - loads of interactive things to do. Greenwich is a lovely part of the city for a wonder around.

I haven’t been to London much in the last 10 years, but when I last went (last winter) I discovered there’s a really good way to pay for the tube now. In zone 1 and 2 at least if you always tap in and out with a contactless debit card, you can travel as much as you like and the amount you pay each day is capped at £6.80.

If you're wandering around the city, Guildhall is free and has lots of history. It's a bit confusing but you can stroll around the yard and there's an art gallery and a great underground bit with the remnants of a Roman amphitheatre (nothing like Trier!) Just around the corner is the City of London Police museum which is small but interesting. Both of these are good time fillers, worth putting on your list if you've got time to fill up but I wouldn't put them at the top of my list. Chinatown is fun to stroll through as well. 

Those are some great tips! We had a capped Oystercard last time we were there, which is great. As we will be relying on public transport.

In the mean time I sorted the theatre bit. My mom discovered there were actually tickets available for the Harry Potter play. Cost an absolute fortune, but I bet it will be worth it! I’m chuffed to bits and know my cousin will be ecstatic!

Love your photo Patsy! Will go on the list!

My mom discovered the Science centre too, so probably will go there too.

Love to go to Oxford at one point Soapy, but think it might have to be a seperate trip. I would want to do it justice!

• Like 1

I think it depends what you like.  So many things and places to go in London.  I like arty things, so The Tates, Royal Academy etc are on my list.  But there are lots of smaller places, like Leighton House which are worth seeing.  With the 13 year old in mind though, you’ve probably chosen well. 

As Soapy says, a trip to Oxford ( 50 mins by train from Paddington, lovely countryside) is recommended.  We have a very accessible for young people Natural History Museum, Story Museum, tours for Morse, Lewis, Endeavour,  afternoon tea at the Randolph, Ashmolean etc.  And a few of us are nearby!  

Edited by Patricia W
Grammar

If you're into coffee check out the small kiosks on the steps or in the front yards of churches in Central London. They often do the nicest coffee especially on a cold day and some of them have little pop up street food markets. I believe it's all done with the aim of raising money for homeless and local people who find themselves alone.