Karen1

New to gardening, but very keen!

Thanks for the advice Kate. It would be a shame to do all that work and then have all the seeds die due to frost.

Gardening is a nice hobby. It's keeping me fit (well, fitter than I was) and hopefully, I'll soon be eating much better quality veg (if I manage to grow anything) :D

I have great plans every year but I'm usually beaten one way or another. I did successive sowings of carrots last year in the hope we'd have plenty for late summer and autumn but they did very badly. I don't know why but we just can't grow them in our garden. The girls messed up my plans too because they uprooted most of the vegetables in the other smaller vegetable garden! I lost so many things thanks to their little busy feet!! I've got my fingers crossed that everything will do well this year. I've passed on my mistakes to you in the hope you won't do as I've done on previous years!!

I've set myself 3 planting days - Good Friday for new potatoes and tomatoes, St George's Day for everything else except the peas which go in at the end of May when frosts can just about be forgotten about! It works for me but I'm sure the others will have different times and ways of planting which work as well for them. You'll get your own ways of doing things with practise. Every year you'll learn something new - usually from mistakes the previous year in my case!

Interesting reading the thread about the new magazine..I too bought it and having seen the competition for the eglu I looked at the web site and a week later our chickens arrived. (I never was very patient!) :D My Hubby took a little convincing but was outvoted as usual.

I am very keen to get our new veg garden under way. We built one raised bed yesterday and have two more to go. I am doing the RHS horticultural course part time at Aylesbury college. 4 students already keep chickens so when we go back after Easter i will be able to get some more help and advice.

Coming back to the magazine I thought it was very good and well presented.

Can't wait to get in garden tomorrow...the forecast is quite mild (& I'm a bit of a fairweather gardener) but there's been rain all day...the first proper soaking for weeks.

So, I can get weeding, ably assisted by Penny & Chuckles (how do you teach them to eat slugs, they turn their beaks up at them?) but planting will have to wait until we've restricted their access to a veg. patch!

My very 1st garden was tiny...I literally cut the lawn with shears...but we had some good fruit. I was so excited about growing veg. that I just bought a packet of cauliflower seeds, as I like a good cauli. Was so disappointed when leaves grew with no white inner whatsoever. Had no idea that some things are easier than others.

Next year it was radishes and perpetual spinach...OH wouldn't eat them but at least they grow successfully. Now I always grow them & have brainwashed family into enjoying them (thanks to Popeye!)

Looking forward to extending my repertoire this year, so will be interested to see how you get on Karen. Have already found the chickens are great excuse to spend more time in garden even if I think I should be doing something else!

Hi everyone,

I bought "Grow your own" too and that's where I first saw eglu. Mine arrives complete with two chickens next Thursday. That somehow seems nearer than saying the 7 April!

I'm supposed to be doing a bit more to the newly dug veg patch but have got completely hooked on this forum - Does that always happen? I keep just planning to have a quick look, to make sure I'm fully prepared for chicken arrival day and then end up reading all the postings going back ages.

The children and I visited our local "Happy hens" farm today, they have hundreds of free ranging chickens and you can help collect eggs and feed the hens and other animals. We had a great, if rather muddy, time. I kept looking at the hens and trying to imagine what it will be like when we have two in our garden - I',m definitely a bit daunted but really looking forward to it.

Best wishes

Sharon :):)

Hello Sharon, What a good idea to visit some chickens & read the forum whilst awaiting yours. In the morning you can think "only 6 days to go!", really counting down now!

Yes, the forum is a bit distracting, but fun, & as for gardening....everytime I started I ended up playing with chickens.

8) Today .. Ben and Joe planted the runner beans and pumpkins , which will remain infront of the patio doors till germination occurs. The sweet peas are doing well in the mini-greenhouse, and yellow tomatoes have germinated on the kitchen window sill 8) . We will buy 2 courgette plants and cheat a wee bit, then train these "UP" a wigwam to save space :wink: .

The lettuces are also starting to grow in the 1st trough, in the mini greenhouse ... I am going to stagger these, put some more in hanging baskets, pots later ... otherwise they eventually give in to cutting and coming again :roll: .

Also, a Robin, has made a nest in the Ivy against a wall, and there are several eggs in the nest 8) , so we will keep and eye on that, and hopefully Jenny Wren will return to the trough, for the 3rd year running :D .

Have fun in your gardens peeps .....

Sarah - I've had a similar day with Lauren and Jake with planting seeds etc.

We've also just been watching a wren making her nest. The wren used to nest in the ivy of the house next door but when the old lady died it was bought by someone who knocked most of the house down and rebuilt a massive house instead - that wall was one which went and we thought we wouldn't get the wren again.

Even better now as she's in our garden instead!

8) Good thing about the larger seeds ... they can count one or two per pot, and I can see where they have gone ... tend to do the small stuff alone :roll: .

Glad to hear about the Wren .. they are really sweet little birds .. and if Lauren and Jake are lucky enough, they may see the chicks (they have really wide mouths for Wren chicks :wink: ).

Thanks for the inspiration Sarah & Lesley, some good ideas there & I need to catch up.

Lovely to hear about the birds too. Our most prolific nesting birds are bluetits & other tits, plus blackbirds. Magpies & squirrels are in abundance too though, so real survival tactics are needed. I regularly see a wren (hope hens haven't invaded its favourite spot, but don't know where the nest is. They're charming to watch aren't they.

Happy gardening everyone....any more tips on easy growing?

:wink: My little Wren .. is cheeky, she makes a perfect entrance in the side of a planted wall trough, for her nest, almost invisible :shock: . She then has the chicks and leaves very discreetly, but the chicks are noisy, so we have seen and heard them before. I then have to wait for the vacation of the nest, until I can plant summer bedding in that trough :roll: .

Having said that .. last year I switched the troughs round, so she can nest to her hearts content, and the other trough from the side of the house gets planted for summer ... then switched again when she's finished :wink:8)

Hi Sharon, that magazine has a lot to answer for. Our Chickens and eglu arrived a week ago tomorrow and I'm completely hooked on both the chooks and the forum. Its a good job it's the school holidays as I can pretend that I'm looking after the children when in fact I'm playing with the chickens, on the computer or baking more cakes (finding lots of yummy recipes to use our eggs in when they start to arrive!)

Not long to wait until Thursday...may the hours pass quickly. :wink:

Hi Helen

I'm glad its Easters holidays too. I'm supposed to be tidying up and then going to do weekly shopping but have stopped for quick cup of tea and look at forum. I have got the washing machine going so perhaps that counts as being busy!

I've done some planting too, the children helped me put in some broad beans, garlic and chives. They keep going to see if anything has grown yet so I've explained that it'll take a bit longer than a few hours.

The River Cottage site has been mentioned a few times so I thought I might have a look at that too, oh dear, even less time for tidying up.

6 days and counting to when chickens come

Best wishes

Sharon

:D:D

Since it's been raining, lots of slugs have been crawling over the eglu! I pick them off and throw them to the chickens. Camilla will eat them (although she doesn't seem very excited by them) but Claire won't touch them. She goes mad over worms and woodlice though.

I suppose slugs taste quite different to worms :D

The second issue of Grow Your Own is out today - I've got mine!

Also - when I got home, my free copy of The Pocket Vegetable Expert book had arrived courtesy of the first issue freebies. I'm just waiting for the free potatoes and pink flowered strawbs. now.

Kitchen Garden arrived yesterday so I've got plenty of reading to do when I really ought to be in the garden doing something. :?

Well, Lesley now has me hooked on GYO mag.(thank you!) & I'm off to buy issue 2 today.

I think there's an article about beekeeping. Brilliant, that's the next thing we'd like to do. Talked about it for years...longer than hens!

And Flump is a good word....wonder if son 2 could adopt that word, instead of .....

Happy gardening this w/e everyone!

Sheila - I think my son prefers ........ as well :cry: Only hear it muttered occasionally though - usually when I've changed my mind over hard landscaping yet again and he's standing with wheelbarrow and shovel - pondering. One day I'm sure he will use the shovel to dig a six foot deep hole in my size! :roll:

We're also very interested in keeping bees, we were talking to a local beekeeper at the Farmers Market this morning.