Karen1

New to gardening, but very keen!

I managed to get my copy of GYO this morning too...hubby went for hair cut @ 8.30am (he's like that ) and sent him into WHS on a mission. I told him it was out yesterday so should be there. He had to ask someone to look in the back as it wasn't out on the shelf!! He knew he couldn't come home without it!!

We planted peas in our brand new raised bed this afternoon. Some as small plants I've raised in the greenhouse and some as just peas. Covered plants with netting and seeds with fleece. I've never grown them before so fingers crossed. :)

Chickens have had a lovely first day completely free range..oops sorry wrong topic..must stop rabbiting and cook dinner.

I haven't got my peas started yet. I'll have to get cracking later on this month. I've got tomato and basil seedlings in the greenhouse at the moment, first early potatoes in, 2 trays of lettuce, a pot of chives and a pot of coriander sown plus chilli peppers and sweet peppers in the propagator. Can't really do much else at the moment and that's frustrating!! I want to get some more seeds sown! Patience is not one of my virtues :roll: !

Helen - did you harden off your peas for a few days before planting out?
Good point lesley .. my sweet peas have been in the mini-greenhouse for a couple of weeks now, and are doing really well, but I am not planting out for at least another 2 weeks ... and even then there will be fleece over them :wink: .

Thanks Lesley, I have done the deed. Luckily we have security lights at the back so It wasn't too bad. I've put triple layer fleece over the netting so hopefully they'll be ok.

I did want to put my email in my profile but couldn't work out where to type it. I don't understand all the various options. I use MSN instant messenger a lot too.

I will go and have another look now. Thanks for your concern for my peas.

Technology is wonderful - when it works :? As I'm sure Kate will tell you tomorrow :lol:

Glad the peas are all covered up. I should leave them covered until they show signs of further growth. The early move to the garden might check their growth a little but they should cope as long as they stay covered for a while.

Also - if they are well covered at least pigeons won't be able to get at them!

Good Luck 8)

GYO mag......... I'm off to buy issue 2 today.

Well, Flump indeed! Dragged sis & daughter into every newsagent cos WHS didn't have it, and had to come home without it! Flump, flump,flump!

Was going to ask in Smith's but Saturday & so busy, not worth trying. They had a lone copy of issue one (with the seeds missing!) on the rack. Having read Helen's, I'll go back on Mon. & make them (sorry, ask them) look in the back...they're prob. waiting to sell that stray copy before putting out the new stock. Unless they've sold out!

Came home with Tracey Beaker mag. though!

:wink:

OH DEAR..................Cannt write any more off down the garden with a torch and some fleece, my poor peas will be a bit chilly.
Hope the Peas are OK Helen. Pigeons are partial to young pea plants as are mice :evil: , so prob best to keep them under wraps.

I have to put my tomatoes in hanging baskets, as little mousey enjoys a nibble :roll: .

oops, Can anyone recommend their favourite rhubarb to grow, both by growth success and flavour? I'm thinking ahead on this so I can look for a good supplier and definitely get some in this year (when is best?) Thanks, happy gardening, off to sow herbs!

I feel very frivolous next to all you grow your ownies as I bought Bizzy Lizzies, Lobelia, Marigolds and Petunias at the weekend and some new pots to put them in :oops: I know I should try to grow veg but they need so much attention not to mention trying to keep the rabbits off good luck to you all :wink:

I bought a bulk supply of shrubs a few years back and when they started to grow something had orange flowers on - I phoned the Company that supplied tham and told them it must be wrong because I don't do orange! It turned out to be me - I thought I'd ordered the pink version. :oops:

It grows really well and is at this moment covered in little orange flowers. I think it's escallonia but as we can't eat it I'm not really interested! The bees like it so that's OK for an organic garden 8)

I'm quite lucky as most of the shrubs etc in my garden were there when I moved in and I have a gardening crazy mum who keeps me straight and spoils me with plants (mostly cuttings from her garden) but I like to have a few nice pots with flowers in at the front of the house as it is so cheerful and the neighbours like it too :) Although most of the time these days they stop to ask about the girls rather than the garden :oops: I only really buy plants in spring for summer display and again in autumn for the winter/spring display. I had to get some new pots as the frost has damaged so many this is their 3rd winter over and they don't last forever :evil: I would like to grow veg but I have a wood next to the house with a large rabbit warren in which would make it a losing battle. I would end up hating the rabbits which at the moment I quite like to watch in the early morning grazing and running around :shock:

This topic is infectious. I've bought GYO and Kitchen garden and I'm determined to do better this year. I've played about with tomatoes and herbs in the past but now I've taken the plunge and ordered a pile of veg seeds and some posh edging stuff to make raised beds. My garden is very clay soil and whilst full of goodness it's really hard to grow anything in it. The idea with the raised beds is that I can use the beds to get started and in a few years move the beds and the soil underneath should be broken up a bit if I plant the right things. then I can use both areas. Poor OH says I need to change my name to Barbara :lol::lol:

Good move Trish. We built 2 raised beds over Easter using railway sleepers we bought from a good web site. My neighbours getting a little concerned about us ...the chickens arrived, then the raised beds were built, I have given up teaching this year and had a greenhouse for my birthday. She is keeping an eye out for any cows, pigs or sheep I think :lol: My friends all think I've gone a little mad too

One really good thing we bought off ebay last season was a robotic lawnmower. It cuts the grass on its own and the clippings mulch back into the grass. I would highly recommend one as long as your not into a show lawn with stripes.

It's a small world , I recently bought some replacement blades from their company for the mower. I would highly recommend them , it was unbelievable...I ordered them through their web site in the afternoon and the blades were on my doorstep the very next morning. That's what I call service.

The mower is out now cutting the grass and the chickens don't seem to be too worried by this big yellow object tooing and frowing ...is that good English? :?