Quiltyhen

Frontline

Since joining the forum I've been amazed at the breadth of knowledge and advice on here. I haven't seen this anywhere so I thought I'd share this information with you.

I've seen references to Frontline in the forum. I know it isn't recommended for use with chickens but many people seem to have other furry friends. The next time you go on holiday to France go into the pharmacy and you can buy Frontline for cats and dogs over the counter at a fraction of the price you pay in this country. I've only bought the little vials of drops for the back of the neck but I recently paid £19 for 6 months (for the cat) which is a lot less than I pay at the vets. In fact my vet said he couldn't get it from the wholesalers for what you pay in France!

Liz

You can also get it pretty cheap on online pharmacy sites over here now that it is not prescription only anymore

http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/detailed_product.asp?id=67217

Just don't tell my vet I do this!!! :oops::oops:

Thanks, that's useful to know if I can't over the channel. I'm afraid I was upfront and told my vet I was getting from France; he was fine with it!

:D

Liz

I tried frontline on my chooks, but it got very expensive, very quickly. Now I use Ivomec. Persistent fleas on the cats though, anyone got any recommendations? I only frontlined a couple of weeks ago, and the little b***ers are back. :evil:

I had a similar problem when Daisy developed a flea allergy and scratched the back of her neck raw (v expensive!). If the fleas are persisting you need to ask the vet for a spray and use it all over the house, carpets etc. It has to be the vet's spray as the over the counter ones are not strong enough. The spray and continuing to use Frontline will do the trick eventually, they persist because they are probably all over the house. (Sorry didn't mean to imply anything by that but as cats can't be contained the fleas could be anywhere!)

Liz

My cats have Frontline Combi drops every 6 weeks and flea collars too for a dual pronged attack.

I was recommended Frontline spray for scaley leg mites and it seems to work, I understand that it can also be used on the rest of the chook, but best check with your vet first. Like Ivomec Eprinex - it isn't licenced for use on poultry in the UK, but most vets will heartily recommend them.

Aunty E, it is worth getting the council to come and spray the house if you've got a real infestation. The little blighters can live on in your carpet for ages, and I never found that over-the-counter sprays worked.

There will be a charge, but it is sooo worth it - I was mortified, :oops: but the council guy is used to it (he declined to tell my nosey neighbour why he was there!) and one treatment from them and there were no fleas left.

George and Sasha have a Program injection from the vet every 6 months and although it is very expensive it works well and is less stressful for them (and me) than trying to do the drops or spray. George has to see the vet every 6 months anyway as he is on medication for his dicky ticker, so we get it done at the same time.

You can get Acclaim spray for the house from the vet and that is very good. I always keep a can of that handy incase a visiting cat or one of George or Sasha's 'little presents' has fleas. Not because I am desperately houseproud or fussy but I am a magnet to fleas. They say fleas don't like the taste of humans, but they certainly make an exception for me!

I used to have the 6 monthly injection (well, my cats did I mean). Definitely the most stress free way of keeping the cats flea free. However, after a couple of years, I took the cats to the vert because they were scratching, and he found flea dirt. He recommended I switched to Stronghold drops. It's been a couple of years now, and the cats have started scratching again, so I thought I'd try Frontline for a while.