ajm200

Chicken jumping

Our white chicken has taken to crouching down as she would for a cockerel then ‘jumping’ up off the ground before landing back on the same spot.  She did it several times on the grass yesterday and and I thought she might be trying to catch some sort of insect but she did it more frequently today.   It’s like the little ‘popcorn’ jumps rabbits do. 

Checked her over and can see nothing wrong.  Is it just a funny five minutes? 

1 hour ago, ajm200 said:

Our last white one, a hybrid, literally died of fright at around 40 weeks.  We assume a fox was near by.  She was always noisy and anxious.  Was hoping this one would be calmer 

My white hen was hysterically nervous... couldn’t handle her, without her screaming. Had a neighbour pop his head over the fence, when I tried to catch her. The thought I was killing a cat...

Worked out what she’s doing when she jumps. She’s trying to scare the magpies. She only does it when they are In the garden. She’s been braver today and run at them before doing her funny little jump. The others just run at them magpies with their wings out but she has to be a bit different.  

All  three turn and run back to the cube if the magpies walk at them though.

it’s like watching a little kid trying to be brave and stand up to s bigger bully before running back to mum 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Luvachicken said:

Oh, I was rather fancying a white Pekin at some point.

Don’t let my daft chickens put you off.  

I plan to get 3 more in the new run and one is likely to be white   My daughter wanted Buff and Lavender and I wanted porcelain but settled for Colombian.  Hoping the ones we couldn’t get will be old enough in our next visit