ajm200

What are you using as perches in your walk-in runs?

Our new run will be 6x8 with the cube on the outside so will have lots of room to be creative.

What do you use as perches in your walk-in runs pls? 

Our current run has a couple of lengths of 2x1 and part of the Xmas tree trunk as perches. 

Quite like the idea of natural perches for them so there’s a bit of variation in width. Not sure how get the greenhouse frame to support lumps of natural timber though.

Thanks 

I built my own: I went down to the local woodland, retrieved some fallen branches, cut them down to size with a saw, and then I drilled some holes in them and used cable ties to secure them all in a 'ladder' formation, and then used garden string to make sure they were all secure.

I also used some additional branches to slot between the grills in the WiR, and used cable ties to hold those in place. :)

• Thanks 1

Mine aren’t at all pretty or natural looking. Random bits of baton and an old shoe rack! Keep in mind that I only have bantams though - baton would be too small for large fowl. I actually do have an expensive Omlet perch but I haven’t put it anywhere yet - I’ll put it in when I give my gang their run extension at the weekend. They’ll then have 4m x 2m low rise run attached to their 2m Cube run.

• Thanks 1

We use 2" x 1" treated lath with the corners rounded off. They are set low in our case (about 12" from the ground) because all our flocks are old now and hip injuries are a regular problem. Whist they can fly up to a high perch, some of them are rather fat and landings are no longer gentle; more like a crash in fact!