ajm200

Earache relief

Tonight I’ve got earache and the pain is driving me insane. I’ve maxed out on painkillers and tried hot and cold packs, hot drinks, a rice bag and warm olive oil -  No luck.  Doctors isn’t an option tomorrow as they have already said it doesn't look infected.  Drs appts are like gold-dust and I have back-to-back appts all day at solicitors, banks, building societies, etc. Being ill has to wait!

I’m hoping someone knows a trick I haven’t tried yet as it has been an exhausting few days and I really need sleep! 

Earache is horrid ajm200, I suffer with trigeminal neuralgia which affects my right ear, I put a hot wheat bag around my neck not on my ear and also put a small amount of ibuprofen gel in my ear which helps. Obviously this isn't one of the uses for ibuprofen on the leaflet but it helps me and was something my doctor told me to try, but if you think it may be infected then insist on seeing a doctor, your health comes before anything else. Hope you feel better soon.

How are you doing? I sympathise as have a bout myself at present.  It was feeling of fullness in ear and pressure and stabbing pains in ear and across teeth and hypersensitive hotspot on top of head.

Wheatpads (given to me in an Omlet swap) , painkillers, decongestant caps and beconaise steroid nasal spray helped relieve the pressure and pain.  It was middle ear infection so antibiotics as well.

If yours isn't infection then it's allergy or nerve inflammation etc so your gp should diagnose and treat where pos to relieve pain or investigate.  I'd go back.

Ursula my sympathies on you having trigeminal neuralgia. 

I hope you are feeling better @Plum Mine turned out to be the start of whatever paralysed my face.  Bell’s palsy starts with pain in and around the ear.  That side of my face went numb first and drooped then the other side started to go.  Steroids  fixed most of the drooping but the nerves are alternating between numb and really painful.  They decided it isn’t ‘normal’ Bells Pakay as it responds to steroids so back to the Neurologist I go.  The man is getting rich from me! 

That's awful I'm so sorry.  No doubt you'll be facing investigations perhaps MRI.  Big hugs for you, hope you can get fixed sounds so unpleasant for you.

Mine is definately infection with temp, glands and sore throat glad I went to doc after couple of days.  Feeling more like myself now.

• Thanks 1

Just seen you've having an even worse time.  Have you got the appointment with the neurologist again?  Well done getting out and about it while you're like this.  You know if you'd gone to A&E you may have seen the neurology team though being a weekend perhaps that was a remote chance.  How's the pain?  What's the shaking is it just your face, temp going up?  Hope you got some sleep though on steroids that's unlikely so I hear.

You're a brave person get in that rocking chair with your blanket :) 

The shaking is my whole body but internal.  Barely a tremor on the outside.  Seeing the neurologist on 19th.  Honestly think it is just a relapse of my issues that they can’t seem to diagnose brought on by the stress of losing my brother.  They say it is autoimmune as they can’t find signs of MS on scans but can’t find anything in blood tests either.  Thanks for worrying about me.  I refuse to give in to this and become any more of a recluse I’m only in my 40’s with two young kids 

1 hour ago, Plum said:

That's the danger isn't it that illness gets in front and you sink out of sight.  Keep fighting and I'll keep thinking of you.  Good news they can't find MS, that's a positive. 

Yes.  Gradually the invitations dwindle as people know you are ill and unlikely to be well enough.  You get labelled as the poorly one.  Determined to beat this or at least keep going as long as I can 

Thanks for checking on me.  I’m weaning off all meds as I’m certain that things got worse when the dose was upped last year.  Feeling grotty as they were addictive but will be glad when they are gone.  Hoping that the facial paralysis and other nasties will go with them 🤞

Waiting for referrals to two other neurologists at some point but on the NHS so the wait will be long