Belcherman

Connecting Walk-Run to Cube and Run without connecting kit

Hi,

We’re considering the walk-in run and was wondering if there was a way to connect the run to the WIR directly without the connecting kit. I’ve seen the videos that Eglu shows how to do it using the connecting kit and I don’t care for it. I don’t like losing the door because I want the option to be able to lock the chickens in the run. Also, the opening on the connecting kit appears to be much smaller than the existing door on the run which makes accessing the run even more difficult for humans. 

I was thinking of just removing a panel from the WIR and connecting the run directly to the WIR. I realize that there might be some gaps that I would need to fill in with hardware cloth. I was wondering if this was doable or if there was something I hadn’t considered. 

Thoughts? Has anyone else tried something like this?

Yes, I think you can do this.  You will need to support the join with the roof struts from the original run though I would think.  However, before you go ahead, there is an issue I, and others have found with the Omlet WIR which you need to consider.   My run is neither rodent or small bird proof especially in the top half.  This is important for disease control, especially if, as expected we have more Avian Flu outbreaks.    I have had to cover my run with weld mesh which was expensive.  I love all my Omlet kit apart from the WIR.   I wish I’d gone for a conventional one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Yes, I think you can do this.  You will need to support the join with the roof struts from the original run though I would think.  However, before you go ahead, there is an issue I, and others have found with the Omlet WIR which you need to consider.   My run is neither rodent or small bird proof especially in the top half.  This is important for disease control, especially if, as expected we have more Avian Flu outbreaks.    I have had to cover my run with weld mesh which was expensive.  I love all my Omlet kit apart from the WIR.   I wish I’d gone for a conventional one. 

Thanks. That’s good information to know. We were planning to get the covers for the WIR so the chickens would have shade. Are you saying the spacing in the WIR is bigger than in the run? We were planning to wrap both the WIR and the run with wire mesh going 2-3 feet up from the ground for extra predator/pest protection but if we have to wrap the whole thing in mesh, you’re right, that would get prohibitively expensive. 

One of the reasons we want to retain the door between the WIR and the run is because then we wouldn’t need to secure the WIR as much as the regular run. The chickens would be confined to the run except when we let the in the WIR to “free range”. I hadn’t considered that other birds could be getting in. At this point, it doesn’t seem like the WIR is worth the cost. We may end up getting a conventional pen (or having one built and putting the Cube in that. 

It’s the top half of the run that’s the main problem, although there’s a video on here of Mr Rat squeezing through the bottom part too.  The squares on the top half of my MK 1 are big enough for small birds to fly in with no problem.  Omlet should change the specification.  

If I was making the decision again, I’d certainly go for a conventional WIR and put the cube inside. 

Edited by Patricia W

On 4/27/2019 at 12:04 AM, Patricia W said:

I wish I had read this prior to purchasing....ah well. I have secured hardware cloth  all around and have a heavy tarp on top. One thing I can say is that it would have been MUCH more difficult building this run. At least I have the framework to attach the cloth...