Patricia W

Festival of quilts

I only ever went for the day - it is mind blowing!  Thankfully it is now more roomy to walk around.  Do your homework first - order a brochure thingy which will have a map of the exhibits and shops.  Plot the ones that you really want to see first and then shop!  Because the earlier you do that then the easier it is before it starts to fill up.  Be prepared - it gets crowded!  I always shopped first (you can put your bits in the car and get your hand stamped rather than lug it all round).  Take a bottle of water with you - and perhaps something to eat.  I always did shopping then had a Starbucks and a muffin to eat in the foyer - there are loads of seats that people don't seem to use, but walking around you really need a drink of water with all the body heat and lighting.  After I'd shopped, I looked at the exhibits.  In recent years I only needed a couple of things and the main priority was to play with the longarm machines.  

Not going this year - went to the Exeter show and that was small but interesting with different quilts (although Pimmsy Plum's winnings were on show!) and then I went to the Malvern show to see Pimmsy Plum getting her prize!  I actually preferred the Malvern - not as big as the NEC but a lot of different quilts to see and interesting shops.  I have found the smaller shows have more shops that are local.  Too expensive at the NEC now.  Ticket prices are crazy and as for car parking - very naughty!  But if you are able, then go for a couple of days - then you can look around, shop and then do it all in a more relaxed way and do a course if anything takes your fancy.  Above all enjoy!