Hello Everyone!

I’m a new mummy to 6 Silkie chicks. They have just turned 5 weeks but have had them since 1 day old. Absolutely in love!

I have a million and one questions but hoping you could help me with just a few?  

What age can my little silkies go outside at night? And I also have an Ecoglow brooder, does anybody know what height this should be at for them at this age? 

Any help would be much appreciated!! ☺️

FA19D0A7-434C-4C34-9B03-215CC0EADDD5.jpeg

8540EC3F-9A45-4F48-AF9E-0BBEB727019A.jpeg

428CCDEF-C480-44BF-9CF0-9B74FB2C7766.jpeg

Very cute :D 

Agree with MH, in this weather I don’t think they’ll need the electric hen on.

As it’s so hot I’d have them out in the day with plenty of shade and pop them in at night as they might struggle getting into the Cube, esp with Silkie feathers, another two weeks and they should be fine to be out all the time and put themselves to bed.

Thanks for your help Mullethunter and Lewis!

I keep their heater off during the day. They all seem to love to sit on top of it though so I keep it in their brooder. I was going to keep it off last night but they were making lots of noise so popped it on to see if they were cold and they all went straight under it. The house was pretty warm too. 3 of the 6 are still pretty small so I’m guessing they just don’t have enough meat on them yet. 

Ill keep them inside for now during the night but have them outside during the day to get used to it. I’m going to build a makeshift ramp for them to get in and out of the coop as I’m pretty sure their tiny legs won’t get used to those steps anytime soon. 

The joys of having silkies! Wouldn’t have them any other way though ☺️  

Yeh I can’t seem to find anything on google either apart from white silkies having pale skin. 

We have the clear cover from Omlet on their coop to keep them dry. We have a 2m run so it wraps around the sides as the cover is quite big. Very waterproof for them. Anyways until they can get into their coop easily I won’t be keeping them outside when it rains. The rain and hail was crazy yesterday so I wouldn’t put the little guys through that. 

We took the cover off during the hot weather as they would have baked and just put the all weather shade cover on.