WingingIt

Rescues refusing to home to Omlet hutches

Hello,

We have an Eglu for our chickens and I live the ease of cleaning... I had hoped to get another to house some rescue guinea pigs or rabbits but my local rescue has a strict policy of not rehoming to 'plastic pod hutches' (so basically Omlet homes).

Has anyone had this problem when dealing with rescues and Eglus? And has anyone else found a rescue that doesnt mind?!

Thanks 😊

Unfortunately while my local rescue doesn't do home checks for rabbits and guinea pigs they do request pictures... they also request a 5ft hutch for 2 guinea pigs (!!) which rules out Omlet too! It's quite frustrating when my only options seem to be a) lie or b) don't rescue 😔

It's a very large rescue centre which I think often leads to a certain level of inflexibility... perhaps I can track down a smaller and less prescriptive place! I'm in South Cambs if anyone knows of anywhere :-)

I’m currently volunteering at a bunny and rodent rescue (in the Netherlands, so no use to you), and they too request photos of hutches and runs too. Mostly because there are a lot of unfit houses being sold. They actually recommend wooden chicken coops for bunnies, instead of bunny houses.

I would just go by and have a chat and see what they think/say. If they say no, just ask them for other addresses which would be willing to adopt out. Otherwise smaller rescues might be worth having a look at.

Just now, Patricia W said:

We had this year’s ago when Omlet eglus and cubes were new.  I’m surprised it’s still around.   Go elsewhere.  I’ve rehomed many ex bats in eglus and cubes.  

It’s amazing who had cubes these days.  I have a feeling I even saw one in Ed Sheehan’s garden.  

She wants to rehome Guinea pigs or rabits, not ex bats. It’s still not a common housing in rabbit and guinea pig land.

15 hours ago, WingingIt said:

Unfortunately while my local rescue doesn't do home checks for rabbits and guinea pigs they do request pictures... they also request a 5ft hutch for 2 guinea pigs (!!) which rules out Omlet too! It's quite frustrating when my only options seem to be a) lie or b) don't rescue 😔

It's a very large rescue centre which I think often leads to a certain level of inflexibility... perhaps I can track down a smaller and less prescriptive place! I'm in South Cambs if anyone knows of anywhere :-)

The Cambridge Cavy Trust used to be the "go to" place to find rescue guineas or ones needing new homes, back when I was keeping guinea pigs. This was 15ish years ago and I have just done an online search to check they still exist. They do- you could do worse than giving them a call? They arent a rescue as such but they are heavily involved in Piggie welfare matters so I'd be surprised if they can't source you some rescues.  

• Thanks 1

I’m also coming up against this problem - we lost one of our bunnies to rabbit colic during lockdown and I’m now trying to adopt a new friend for our existing bunny. But I’m finding the biggest rabbit rehoming charity in Scotland wont entertain my Omlet set up at all. Seems really short sighted, they aren’t willing to reason at all, it’s a flat no. Very frustrating!