mullethunter

Sort of wheezy and lacking appetite after broody spell

Duck the pekin is just over one and has a week ago come out of her first broody spell which lasted about a week. She’s a ‘special’ chicken having hatched with a curled foot which I had to tape flat, and I suspect she might be generally physically twisted / not straight as one of her wings is often at a slightly odd angle so it’s possible nothing in her little body is straight.

As soon as she stopped being broody she seemed not quite right - just not as lively as usual. Then the last few days she’s been becoming less interested in food - will still eat some treats (sunflower hearts, egg etc) but not really corn and I don’t think she’s eating pellets. She seems fairly ‘happy’ just a bit less energetic and ‘chatty’ than normal and her poos are very small today (more so than yesterday when they were still relatively normal) but she is quite wheezy and seems to feel the need to wipe her beak after almost every beak full as if trying to clear it. She’s been a bit wheezy for a long time.

I know ‘take her to the vet’ is probably a standard response but I think this is so non-specific that the only co structure thing they’d be likely to do is give her antibiotics if she has a temperature.

Anyone have any ideas?

Good idea to get her started on that, can you get some NutriDrops into her too?

A really good poultry vet might be able to work out what's ailing her, but I think that your initial description leads me to think that she's a 'failure to thrive' case. I would just treat what you can see, as it presents and keep her comfortable. You are keeping an eye on her, so you'll see if she doesn't eat.

I think it's just a case of keeping her relatively comfy until the inevitable happens....... I'm sorry.

14 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

I know, we are always more close to the ones we have to nurse.

That’s a very profound statement!

I did take her to the vets in the end. She said she’s got a bit of a temperature and a slight wheeze so has given me anti-inflammatories and antibiotics to inject for 5 days. We’ll see how we go...