johall999

Shelters for hens who insist on sleeping outside

I have a Go Up attached to an outdoor run. Earlier this year in March I added two new birds to an existing two.  They all get on now after the usual restablishment of the pecking order but the two newbies never sleep in the eglu and prefer to roost outside up on branches. I’ve tried the usual things to encourage them in together without success. I’m not overly bothered with this apart from the concern of winter coming. Any recommendations for some sort of nest box which I can attach high up in the run which will give them some protection from the weather.  They lay their eggs in the eglu so just looking for ideas for something to keep them warm if they still insist on being outside overnight. Something I can fix high up where they currently roost would seem to be the best idea. Thanks. 

Fear not.  I have 3 bantams who roost outside most of the year round.  They perch high in the WIR in all weathers, deigning only to go in the coop if it’s about -6 or, in a gale.  This is an Omlet WIR covered on the top and three of the four sides with clear tarps.  As long as they have access to a coop they will decide if it’s the weather to go inside.  Just make sure you give them some shelter from tarps etc. They are wearing their own duvets and their internal heat is higher than ours.  Leave them be with confidence. 

Edited by Patricia W

I wouldn't worry about them; they will be fine.

2 points to consider:

• Check your coop for red mites; that can sometimes be a reason for birds not wanting to roost in there. This probably isn't the case as it sounds as if your other birds are using it.
  • (as Patricia has said) You will need to make sure that the run has a clear waterproof cover for the winter, covering the sides as well. I use glass clear tarps and bungee hooks to great effect. they will need protection from the elements, and birds shouldn't be paddling around in mud and wet litter

Thanks both.  Yes, I am red mite free, so it's just down to their choice I think.  One of the newbies was broody and was fine sleeping inside then!  The top of the run is fully covered, so I will just add a tarp on that corner to protect the sides I think.  Thanks for the advice.