gareth

Brother and Two Sisters

Hi

we have 5 chickens and one Rooster (All Pekin). Two of the hens are older and not related. However we hatched eggs with a surrogate Mom (who passed away not long ago sadly). 

The four girls and the Rooster (Liquorice) get on exceptionally well. Had chickens for 15 years and never had such a calm flock. It’s our first time with a cockerel. 

We plan to hatch some of the Golden Partridge Eggs from him. We will not be doing that with any eggs from his sisters.

I am still concerned though as I am sure as they get a bit older he will mate with his sisters from the same clutch where I got the eggs from (May not actually be related but can’t be sure).

In short can a brother and sister live together if you ensure you don’t hatch the eggs. 

If they only ever mate and we never incubate is that ok? Just seems a bit wrong obviously from a human perspective. 

FA52015A-D759-4A36-B8E2-0342256100AD.jpeg

Yes, brothers/sisters can live happily together, in fact I suspect that's what many backyard flocks are made up of.   It is better/usual practice to breed father/daughter/granddaughter or mum/son/grandson than to breed siblings.  This is because there is a school of thought that sibling matings are more likely to embed bad traits/weaknesses rather than improving stock.  I am not sure why exactly, but it is a philosophy I have always adopted.   If you don't incubate you won't have any worries!