Hazel1975

Chicken Run - Flooring

Hi, we currently have our chickens directly on the mud in our garden, with a layer of bark. Even though we have a sheet of corrigated iron bungied to the top of the run, the floor gets very wet and the bark turns to mush very quickly. We move the chickens around every few months but dont really want large patches of mud left over (we have a 3 metre run so its quite a large patch to leave). Also, we have now noticed large holes around the edge of the run which presumably is from the rats trying to get in. If we wanted to make a hard standing for the run, is it best to lay patio slabs, with a few drainage gaps and then cover with sand? I think the sand may be easier to poo pick/sieve than the bark? Advice would be appreciated.

Mixing mud with bark of wood chips is never a good idea. Bark doesn’t seem to be a favourite here either. Many say it turns to slush very quickly. If I remember right sand seems to do the same.

With patio slabs without drainage, you need to make sure it is level and keep it dry completely. I have paving slabs dug into the ground, with about 20 cm of dirt on top. My run isn’t dry, so I have drainage gabs in between the slabs.

I would suggest either dirt (but your clay might not be suitable), or wood chips on paving slabs.

Sand might be ok if you can keep it really dry - I’m sure I’ve read someone saying they use it successfully but I can’t remember who or where. Hardwood chips in a reasonably thick layer on top of slabs works well as long as there is some drainage between the slabs or you can keep it really dry. Also Newlands Poultry has a different idea if you google ‘Newlands Poultry Mud Management’.

I keep mine on Earth [ heavy clay) not slabs.  I use aubiouse.   When I change it ( about 3 times a year) the clay has hardened to be like cement. The key is keeping the run dry.  So I use clear tarps from Tarpaflex, and clear wavy plastic sheet from Wickes, held in place with bungees.   I have slabs outside and broken slabs inside around the perimeter of the run. I take food and water in at night.  That ( fingers crossed) seems to work.   

Edited by Patricia W

Avoid:

Bark (mould spores) 

Rubber chips  (poo won't wash off)

Gravel (ditto)

Weed membranes under the litter (traps poo and mould underneath)

I would advise (based on decades of experience) hard-standing - slabs or concrete - topped with Aubiose or woodchips (the former is much more absorbent) and covering the run with clear tarps and bungee hooks so that the top and sides are covered as much as possible. I sprinkle the litter in my runs weekly with Nettex's Ground Sanitising Powder and rake it through. I muck out when it starts to look manky, which is more often at this time of year when they are pretty much confined to the runs. Then sprinkle GSP on the slabs before adding clean litter. This is all very dry, doesn't smell and the Aubiose sucks the life out of the poo.

I try to time mucking out to coincide with worming so that I am treating the runs for worm eggs with the GSP and thereby tackling the worm issue from both ends, so to speak.

Chickens need clean, dry litter and a place to shelter when the weather is bad. If left in wet conditions, then they will get fungal and bacterial foot issues. The daylight from the clear tarps helps them too - it triggers feeding and laying.

Here endeth the sermon :lol:

• Thanks 1

I am really interested in this thread as I am contemplating getting a couple of hens in the spring, (and am doing my homework thoroughly by reading lots and lots of books etc). Dogmother; you mention covering the run etc with tarps. What do you do in the summer? If I kept my chickens as you recommend above, I would be concerned that in the summer they might bake. How would you stop the aubiose getting wet if it rains then? Do you just use sun shades? 

Also, if you have an Omlet eglu and run, do you lift the entire unit away for cleaning or squeeze through the opening?  I haven't actually bought an Eglu yet (and have only seen one in the 'flesh' briefly).

I bought additional land last year to extend my garden. As it has not yet had 18 years worth of compost adding, the area which i have free for chickens is heavy clay that is not free draining. I have been scratching my head about the best flooring for the chicken's health.  I have allowed myself time to get the site 'right' before bringing home hens.

See my answers in your post below:

2 hours ago, Chickenlicken said:

I am really interested in this thread as I am contemplating getting a couple of hens in the spring, (and am doing my homework thoroughly by reading lots and lots of books etc). Dogmother; you mention covering the run etc with tarps. What do you do in the summer? If I kept my chickens as you recommend above, I would be concerned that in the summer they might bake. How would you stop the aubiose getting wet if it rains then? Do you just use sun shades? 

My runs are in partial shade, but if it gets really hot, then I slot an opaque tarp underneath or temporarily roll the clear tarps back. I haven't had any problems with it getting too hot in the run, although last year was a bit of an exception!

Also, if you have an Omlet eglu and run, do you lift the entire unit away for cleaning or squeeze through the opening?  I haven't actually bought an Eglu yet (and have only seen one in the 'flesh' briefly).

I have a classic as well as the cubes, and use it for sick hens or introductions - it sits on slabs when in use and I just either reach a rake in through the door to rake the litter through, or lift the run up by the front and swing it to one side.

I bought additional land last year to extend my garden. As it has not yet had 18 years worth of compost adding, the area which i have free for chickens is heavy clay that is not free draining. I have been scratching my head about the best flooring for the chicken's health.  I have allowed myself time to get the site 'right' before bringing home hens.

Very wise to plan 😊 I would slab over an area now so that it's ready to put your housing on. That's just my personal opinion though.

Ventilation is key in summer or winter.  I use a mixture of clear tarps and the wavy plastic sheet from the likes of Wickes in winter. All held in place with bungees.  In summer I just remove said tarps/sheet from sides strategically to allow air to flow through more.   I provide shade with opaque tarps strategically placed also.   Aubiouse is magic as long as you keep it dry.  Composts beautifully too

Thanks for all your help Dogmother and Patricia, and apologies to the original

poster for asking so many additional questions. I now think that I’ll place the chickens within the shade of my house, on slabs and aubiose with tarps over the run. 

Just a quickie; I understand that aubiose is wonderful to keep clean. Do you just remove the obvious mess daily, and then replace properly only now and again? 

8 hours ago, Chickenlicken said:

Thanks for all your help Dogmother and Patricia, and apologies to the original

poster for asking so many additional questions. I now think that I’ll place the chickens within the shade of my house, on slabs and aubiose with tarps over the run. 

Just a quickie; I understand that aubiose is wonderful to keep clean. Do you just remove the obvious mess daily, and then replace properly only now and again? 

Bear in mind when you are choosing the position that they will prefer partial sunlight, so a fully shaded area might not be ideal. Mine are in the dappled shade of some trees.

Aubiose is great for drying out poos and and keeping the run fresh, so long as it is kept dry. I am of the low maintenance school of thought, but if there are any damp patches or there's a mess under the feeders, then I do tend to scoop it out and replace the litter. Once a week, I sprinkle it with Ground Sanitising Powder and rake that through (that's if the little cluckers don't get there first!). In the summer, a light misting with some water mixed with drops of citronella and eucalyptus oils helps to keep the flies at bay. You will fidn that the run needs a full muck-out less often than you'd have thought.