Harry

I NEED ADVICE URGENTLY

I’m new to hatching ducks so this is my first ever incubation. I have one incubator with a 12 egg capacity which has been running for 12 days now with runner duck eggs. All eggs are showing signs of early life which is great. I had previously ordered some Cayuga duck eggs on line and they arrived 3 days ago. I decided to squeeze 4 more into the incubator with the already incubating runner ducks. The Cayuga are also showing easy life signs. 

However at the time I didn’t realise, because the duck eggs have been put in about a week apart, they are going to have a different lockdown time. How do I rotate the Cayuga duck eggs when my runner ducks are in lockdown period? 

PLEASE can i get some advice, i dont want to abandon the second batch as they are already showing life signs. Is it possible to rotate them quickly without disturbing the other eggs??

many thanks 

Wow! Why did you do that?

You can't interrupt the first batch so really you need another incubator to have the best chance of saving the second. You need to stop rotating the first batch and increase the humidity before hatching, however you may be lucky and just concentrate on the first batch and hope the second survives the disturbance.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Beantree said:

Wow! Why did you do that?

You can't interrupt the first batch so really you need another incubator to have the best chance of saving the second. You need to stop rotating the first batch and increase the humidity before hatching, however you may be lucky and just concentrate on the first batch and hope the second survives the disturbance.

I agree - I have used incubators in the past, but prefer a broody myself. It's not advisable to mix clutches at different times.I would take Beantree's advice and set up another inccy to transfer the newer batch into.

As above, you really need to get a separate hatcher for the first eggs to be able to run them both properly. I hatched 7 chicken eggs last week and have 5 Call Ducks in a separate incubator.

What incubator are you using? I don’t know of a 12 egg incubator except the cheap Chinese imports which have been known to cause house fires so be careful - Brinsea and RCOM are good makes if you’re looking for another