SeramaSilly

Help please - tried to candle my eggs tonight day 10

Hi there,

I've just tried to candle my eggs on day 10.  Firstly I tried my mobile and couldn't see a thing and then I used a torch with a cut-down toilet roll.  I can't see veins like everyone says you should be able to but I can see a dark area in a couple of the eggs.  Any ideas please?

Hi are you in a very dark room?? I just use a very bright led torch and put it on either end of the egg, pointed is supposedly best. If your eggs are quite dark it can be very hard to see. Look on you tube for candlimg chicken eggs. Theres some good advice

The dark area will be the embryo forming. You should also see the air sac, which will be clear and will grow as time goes on. That's the space the chick will use to get its head out from under the wing. Eggs with no dark area are infertile, but leave them a bit longer to be sure. What you are trying to avoid is bad eggs exploding and covering the area with bacteria. These eggs will begin to 'weep', which appears as small crusty blisters on the surface of the egg. Ideally they will have been removed before that, so at day 14 latest. I can't see veins either SS. A lot depends on the thickness of the shell and your eyesight.

2 hours ago, Beantree said:

The dark area will be the embryo forming. You should also see the air sac, which will be clear and will grow as time goes on. That's the space the chick will use to get its head out from under the wing. Eggs with no dark area are infertile, but leave them a bit longer to be sure. What you are trying to avoid is bad eggs exploding and covering the area with bacteria. These eggs will begin to 'weep', which appears as small crusty blisters on the surface of the egg. Ideally they will have been removed before that, so at day 14 latest. I can't see veins either SS. A lot depends on the thickness of the shell and your eyesight.

Thanks Beantree! 😀  I will leave them be another couple of days then and candle again.  I did contact my breeder and she did say that as seramas' eggs are so small it can be difficult to see veins.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:10 PM, mullethunter said:

I’ve just ordered an ovascope to do my blue eggs because although my iPhone worked last time (white eggs) I was always worried I’d drop the eggs.

I wish I'd got one now.  I borrowed another torch and I can now see that 4 of the eggs do have veins and the fifth was clear so I've discarded that.  I can't see all the details that some people report to though - on some reviews they say they can see the eye!! 😮