The Mk1 cube in my experience and that of many others is the best cube ever made.  I have 2.  One is 12 years old, the other 15.  Both pristine.   They are now longer made as Omlet made a business decision to go for a cheaper production.  The Mk 2 is smaller and quite different.  It remains to be seen if the plastic is as robust.   There are preloved MK 1 s around.  I’d recommend looking for one.  Another tip.  Buy more run than you think you’ll need.  It’s the size of the run that determines how many chickens you can keep happily together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

The Mk1 cube in my experience and that of many others is the best cube ever made.  I have 2.  One is 12 years old, the other 15.  Both pristine.   They are now longer made as Omlet made a business decision to go for a cheaper production.  The Mk 2 is smaller and quite different.  It remains to be seen if the plastic is as robust.   There are preloved MK 1 s around.  I’d recommend looking for one.  Another tip.  Buy more run than you think you’ll need.  It’s the size of the run that determines how many chickens you can keep happily together. 

Seconded. I have a MK1 and a friend has the MK2 and is jealous of mine. It could be my imagination, but the plastic felt thinner and not so tough IMHO.

Edited by AndyRoo

I’ve just bought a new mk2 cube, no experience of the earlier version.  It seems well made, but and it’s a big but, many of the thread inserts where blocked by plastic meaning the screws wouldn’t drive fully home.  Fortunately I had an M6 tap that I could run down the threads to clean them out prior to assembling.

And the run we bought will need extending as soon as the birds are allowed outside again as it appears far too small, we got the 2 metre run with it.  At the minute I have the run under cover to comply with the avian flu restriction and can’t fit an extension on it.  

9 hours ago, Reggit said:

I’ve just bought a new mk2 cube, no experience of the earlier version.  It seems well made, but and it’s a big but, many of the thread inserts where blocked by plastic meaning the screws wouldn’t drive fully home.  Fortunately I had an M6 tap that I could run down the threads to clean them out prior to assembling.

And the run we bought will need extending as soon as the birds are allowed outside again as it appears far too small, we got the 2 metre run with it.  At the minute I have the run under cover to comply with the avian flu restriction and can’t fit an extension on it.  

If you can afford it and have room, I highly recommend buying one of the adapters and a walk in run. 

29 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

If you can afford it and have room, I highly recommend buying one of the adapters and a walk in run. 

We’ve got the room, have been tossing up between a walk in run and making essentially a big pen around the coop and existing run, just to keep them out of the veggie beds.