ChucksNZ

Male or Female?

Would anyone be able to tell me if this pair are male or female please?

I’m told they’re Wyandottes (although possibly a cross between 2 varieties), and about 6 months old. However, the previous owner had a fairly large and gloriously chaotic collection of free ranging chickens, and I’m not convinced he could keep track of what he had, so this may not be 100% accurate.

They’re both still quite nervous and not used to people, so photos are a bit difficult to get.

Any information would be appreciated!

2E1A6E00-984C-4CF3-957C-918D54CE6DD9.jpeg

1F1CB8A6-53B1-4416-BF17-B59835E53AE1.jpeg

CEC65C6F-7528-4A74-B12F-307A42B8AB1D.jpeg

They do look somewhat like Wyandottes but a bit more slender and upright. I doubt they are 6 months as they have no comb whatsoever. Wyandottes have a very little comb, but it does show a bit more than this. If they are 6 months, they should be laying by now and they will definitely be hens. My guess more in the region of 5 months.

Even if they are younger, they still look like hens to me. Incredibly pretty hens too!

Edited by Cat tails

Thanks for the reply.

I think you’re right that they’re probably younger.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they are hens, and your thoughts are encouraging. We’re not allowed to keep roosters here, so I’d have to return them if they were male, and I really don’t want to have to do that!

We used to be registered breeders of Wyandottes, so I'm pretty sure they are younger pullets and 5 months looks about right. Ou cockerels would have started to crow by now and had very different feathering. Ours used to lay quite late, up to 30 weeks, so you should get eggs towards the end of January which will be on the small side, based on ours. They are very pretty.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beantree said:

We used to be registered breeders of Wyandottes, so I'm pretty sure they are younger pullets and 5 months looks about right. Ou cockerels would have started to crow by now and had very different feathering. Ours used to lay quite late, up to 30 weeks, so you should get eggs towards the end of January which will be on the small side, based on ours. They are very pretty.

Thank you! That's very useful information, and very encouraging!

2 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

I have two Wyandotte bantams and have also hatched one bantam Wyandotte cockerel. I’d say they’re pullets too. This is a photo of my Wyandotte boy at 3 months - he was crowing by that time too.

Thanks!

It's looking good for these 2 being female. The council won't allow us to keep roosters here, so I really need them to be hens!!

• Like 1

You've made my Christmas!  I miss my polands so much, what a joy to seem them, I could be looking at two of mine!  For what its worth, a bit late in the day, those 2 dottes definitely look like girls to me, although I'm not a dotte expert and I don't know how much late development goes on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daphne said:

You've made my Christmas!  I miss my polands so much, what a joy to seem them, I could be looking at two of mine!  For what its worth, a bit late in the day, those 2 dottes definitely look like girls to me, although I'm not a dotte expert and I don't know how much late development goes on.

Thanks! Gladys and Hilda are real characters, and I’ve become very attached to them.

The two Wyandottes are still settling in, and are very quiet and nervous at the moment, but I’m sure they’ll also become part of the family in time.