I have a Classic which is attached to an Omlet walk-in run (3 m x 3 m). The ground is covered with very heavy duty grass protector (such as you would find in temporary car parks at stately homes -- it was a real pain to cut to size and my husband almost divorced me over it!) and a thick layer of Auboise on top. The Auboise is about 6 inches deep. (See photo in warmer, dryer days!)

The run has a clear plastic cover and sits against a brick wall on one side. Since the winter weather set in, I added plastic tarps to all three other three sides. The door is uncovered. (Although it is currrently netted with small netting because of Avian flu.) The tarps do not fit exactly and so there are gaps at the top which is normally excellent for ventilation.

My problem is that at the moment the Auboise is constantly damp. (The wind blows the rain in, and it is probably wicking up from the soil under the grass protector.) This is my first winter with my lovely girls (just two of them) and they are looking a little bedraggled although they seem fine and are laying well. They have a large cat litter tray for a dust bath but it is a far cry from the lovely summer dust baths they made for themselves in the garden and it doesn't seem to stay very dry.

So my two questions are:

a) Any top tips for dust baths in the winter? Or just give up?

b) Do Auboise users switch to anything else in the winter? Would wood chips dry out more quickly? My run needs mucking out (a job for this weekend if it ever stops raining!) but I wondered if it would be best to replace the Auboise, or use something else for the next few months. I'd prefer not to as I think the damp, poo-enriched Aubiose is going to make fantastic compost!

Thanks for wise advice, in advance.

IMG_0933.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely set up for two chickens! :D

I would think you're getting a combo of rising damp and rain blowing in, as you say. I have my walk in run on a large concrete slab and rain does blow in so it gets muddy in winter. Aubiose is very absorbent so I guess that's why its retaining the water. Hardwood chips may be better for winter and try Aubiose again in summer when its warm enough to dry in the day.

If you want to stick with it I'd try and get some corrugated plastic sheets for the roof to make an overhang and see if that keeps more rain out.

• Thanks 1

I know. They are rather pampered! Of course, in time, I intend to get a Cube to attach to the run and expand my flock a little ... :)

Yep, I wondered if the very absorbancy of the Auboise was perhaps a problem here. And good idea about corrugated plastic sheets. I am a little peeved that the Omlet 'roofing' sheets aree so ungenerous regarding overhang. They make it sound as though that would be all you need but, in fact, they pretty much only stop vertical rain. I didn't think that one through before we created the set-up.

As you might be able to see from the photo, my husband has tried to make more of a 'run off lip' by using battens under the sheeting which works somewhat. But I think, when we can, we will add a proper rigid roof with more of an actual gutter. Maybe even a water butt to collect the water ...

Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jihipith said:

But I think, when we can, we will add a proper rigid roof with more of an actual gutter. 

It's difficult to tell from your lovely picture, but, if you have any over hanging trees, such as oak, the acorns will fire like bullets through the roof and ruin it.

If you can afford to, try and get the corrugated, fibreglass roof stuff.

We found out the hard way with next door's acorns. 

Luvachicken, thank you for that recommendation. I will look into it and plan it as a spring project!

Just mucked out the run and it wasn't as damp as I feared underneath the top layer of the Auboise so I think most of the wetness  was being blown in. For next winter, though, I will definitely add the proper roof with an overhang and also maybe sort out my tarps so they give better coverage at the top of the fencing, which is where I think most of the rain gets in.

Ladies seem very happy with clean run  :)

4 hours ago, Jihipith said:

Luvachicken, thank you for that recommendation. I will look into it and plan it as a spring project!

You are welcome 😊 although it might be quite expensive.

4 hours ago, Jihipith said:

Ladies seem very happy with clean run  :)

Mine always give me little clucks of approval when I clean them out  :lol:

Sorry!  Only just seen this as I’ve been off working for Dogmother on the FB page.  She’s a tough taskmaster!  For what it’s worth, I’ve had an Omlet WIR now for several years, and although I’m a critic of them, I have been successful in making sure it stays completely dry.   I’ve never seen anyone successfully attach an onduline roof to them, by the way.  

My technique is to first of all, buy decent clear heavy duty tarps.   Bin the Omlet ones, they aren’t heavy enough.  I buy them from Tarpaflex.  I have one over the roof and then three of the sides are covered.  The tarps MUST overlap, and they must be held flat against the wire by bungees which go from the bottom of the sides, over the top, and down to the other side.  Rather like a giant spider! This is to stop flapping which let’s water in, and wears the tarps out.  Two of my tarps are into their 5th year.  I have log roll round the perimeter on all four sides.   On the fourth side I have three onduline wavy sheets available.  They are brought out as required by the prevailing weather, and held in place by bungees.  

I am on Thames clay, and this system kept the run so dry it became like cement.   I use aubiose all year round and have done for the last 8 years or so.  If you rake sanitiser through it once a week, you only need change it about 3 times a year.  In a 2x3m run, and a 3x1m run, I used 3 to 4 bales a year.  I also use it in the poop trays and nest box.  

Hope that helps! 

Edited by Patricia W

Cat tails: Wow! that looks wonderful. Now why doesn't Omlet sell something like that? It looks perfect. If your dad has the lady's details, I'd be very thankful.

Patricia W: that is *so* helpful ... I will look into Tarpflex and the giant spider effect! Also I love the idea of the bottom having log rolls. I can see that would be very effective. OK, I am now quite cheered that I can keep it all nice and dry I just need to make some changes to my waterproofing.

As I mentioned above, when I changed the Auboise today (actually not that brand because it wasn't available during the summer) it wasn't too damp except on the surface so it makes sense that the thing to do is to stop the water getting in from the sides. I'm on clay too, so water doesn't really drain.

I do the sanitiser thing (love the smell!) every week and was able to put it down under the Auboise today. Also, it's good to know I am changing it at about the right frequency. (The lot I changed today had been in since the August bank holiday weekend.) I was afraid I was being horribly slovenly, leaving it there for four and a half months but as I was raking it out I was absolutely amazed that there was no poo to be seen (I barely poo-pick at all). It all seems to mix in. Didn't smell bad either. Truly a wonder product.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Jihipith said:

Cat tails: Wow! that looks wonderful. Now why doesn't Omlet sell something like that? It looks perfect. If your dad has the lady's details, I'd be very thankful!

Well she lives in the Netherlands... and I don’t think she has an internet page.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jihipith said:

I know. They are rather pampered! Of course, in time, I intend to get a Cube to attach to the run and expand my flock a little ... :)

Yep, I wondered if the very absorbancy of the Auboise was perhaps a problem here. And good idea about corrugated plastic sheets. I am a little peeved that the Omlet 'roofing' sheets aree so ungenerous regarding overhang. They make it sound as though that would be all you need but, in fact, they pretty much only stop vertical rain. I didn't think that one through before we created the set-up.

As you might be able to see from the photo, my husband has tried to make more of a 'run off lip' by using battens under the sheeting which works somewhat. But I think, when we can, we will add a proper rigid roof with more of an actual gutter. Maybe even a water butt to collect the water ...

Thank you for your help.

Corrugated plastic sheets in the size you want are readily available online, and/or huge tarps to chuck over the whole thing- Amazon is good.Good luck