soapdragon

Easy Listening Music - like Enya?

Can anyone recommend some easy listening, maybe folky, music please? I do like Enya  but that's getting a bit samey now! Ideally something that we can ask the ever helpful Alexa to play as background for meals, ironing, kitchen cleaning etc (I do have Radio 4 on some of the time but the news is TOO depressing now). Just after something undemanding (so possibly instrumental only). Show of Hands and Fishermens Friends are great as is Mike Oldfield but open to anything in the same sort of genre! Thank in advance!

I wouldn't say any of the below fall into what would be considered truly folk or easy listening, but some of the folk/acoustic/Americana records that I enjoy when I just want something on "in the background" are:

• Firecracker - Lisa Loeb
  • Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sarah McLachlan
  • Adam's Rib - Melanie Doane
  • Greatest Hurts - Jann Arden
  • Marley's Chains - Honey Ryder
  • The Love Junk Store - The Alice Band
  • A Few Small Repairs - Shawn Colvin
  • The Sound of White - Missy Higgins
  • Another Day - Lene Marlin
  • Daydreams - Alice Martineau
  • Tuesday's Child - Amanda Marshall

If you like orchestral music, then one of my favourite groups are Two Steps From Hell who tend to have quite dramatic, bombastic tunes, although there's a lot of choral stuff in there too.

If it's something slightly more new agey like Enya you're after, then you might like Secret Garden.

Thanks everyone I knew I could rely on you all! Not sure what is happening with the box below though as I can't seem to get rid of it - I am having a very non techie day today. I want my velum and ink back!

- I knew i

Edited to add . have just tried secret garden and it sounds amazing! Thanks Andy :dance:

Edited by soapdragon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

Thanks everyone I knew I could rely on you all! Not sure what is happening with the box below though as I can't seem to get rid of it - I am having a very non techie day today. I want my velum and ink back!

Edited to add . have just tried secret garden and it sounds amazing! Thanks Andy :dance:

Glad you like them. They did a really nice song decades ago called Nocturne which they entered into Eurovision if I remember correctly.  

• Thanks 1