AndyRoo

Tiny egg... and morehens disease!

Hello all,

I had to share because the girls laid the smallest egg I've ever had... it's about the same size a quail's egg! I wonder what caused that... :/

Anyway, that aside, Morehens has struck again and to replace our recent losses, I've picked up some new girls. All hybrids, so I have a couple of blue-eggers, a lovely laced bird, and a partridge leghorn!

So cute... they seem so small compared with the other girls now. Bless 'em!

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ursula123 said:

I had one yesterday from my old girls a little fairy egg

I've not had one before... although I'm not sure it's an age thing. Since our 'foxing' the oldest hen is now about 2 maybe. Oh, God... I hope another little hen isn't on her way out.

Oh... and we've named the little red one with blacker tail feathers 'Ginger' after her escapee counterpart in Chicken Run. Not sure how, but she got out of the pen and up onto the roof of the run and was about to hop it over to the neighbour's garden when Rich realised. lol

2 hours ago, Cat tails said:

I’ve had one of those Easter eggs before. Love the intention, but you shouldn’t have bothered! 😂

My little Mus was out and about within 30 min too. But she just fitted through the bars. 😅

She's one of the Legbar crosses, so I think that might be part of her motivation. I know a lot of people have said their Legbars are lovely and friendly, but both of our old ones were very flightly and screechy and god be with you if you tried to hold one! I think they were worse than the Leghorns!

3 hours ago, Cat tails said:

A determined hen isn’t hindered by a clipped wing in my experience.

Maybe give her a higher perch to content with?

They have some perches at various heights, but she doesn't seem to favour any of them for some reason. I think she's just cried freedom and decided that she is going to roam freely and no one will stop her.

33 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

They have some perches at various heights, but she doesn't seem to favour any of them for some reason. I think she's just cried freedom and decided that she is going to roam freely and no one will stop her.

😂

Well, I'm having an interesting time integrating the new hens: they've formed two distinct cliques. The new group are sitting in the cube, refusing to come out. The old crew are just carrying on about their business and picking on them if they come out... it's like Mean Girls in there.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mullethunter said:

It’ll probably just take time

Hopefully. The last few times I've introduced new birds, I've plonked them all in together and they flap about and make a fuss, but the new birds have always just stayed outside and put up with it. This time the new lot are literally all hiding in the cube and only coming out when they want food or water. :/