ellasflock

Racing Pigeon Found?!

Hi Everyone so I have encountered a racing pigeon that has been hanging around my house for the last few days and doesn’t seem to want to leave. It is so very friendly and just fly’s around my head when I am outside and I have given him/her food and water because I read online that apparently racing pigeons seem to be very domesticated and will die if I don’t feed it so I have been topping it up on corn and seeds etc that I give to my chickens to fatten them up as it looks quite slim. Attached is a photo. I can’t seem to read the numbers on its leg and it isn’t leaving my garden and just waits endlessly for me to come out to entertain it, so If anyone has had this problem before or knows somewhere I can rehome it then that would be great, otherwise it will not survive without my help, as far as I am aware, and wherever it has come from, it doesn’t seem to want to go back. 
Thank you! 

938D6827-C614-48F7-9F9A-688E6456A7EE.jpeg

97C3269E-F41D-4AEA-AF52-F92A87F79A95.jpeg

Just to add, it is not injured and can fly, but is not going far and if it goes to my neighbours garden for a few minutes then it will come straight back to mine and either sit on my roof or on a tree perch outside my back door.

I had this happen to me a few years ago, but I live in Portugal.  I fed it on popping corn (before its popped) as I read that was a good food.  I looked up the Portugeuse Racing Pigeon Association (or something), which gave me a list of clubs associated with different ring numbers.   I was able to read the ring by lying down and looking through binoculars whilst the pigeon was distracted with the food.  However, I think I could have captured the bird with a net if I had to, it was reasonably tame and hung round for about a week, flying back to our roof between pecking about on the ground.  I made contact with the club, and eventually the owner called me to come and pick it up.  Unfortunately by then (about 10 days) the pigeon had been taken by a raptor.  You are doing the right thing by feeding/watering it, as they are sleek birds at a racing weight.  Try to find out if there is a Racing Pigeon Association or similar in the UK, make contact and take it from there.  Good Luck!

Okay thank you so much for this help! I will have a little look tomorrow and might try and lead it inside so I can take a good look at the tag. It seems to be very friendly so hopefully I can capture it easily before it gets taken. I will get some popcorn kernels tomorrow so thank you! 

That’s interesting, I think it said Bristol on its tag so it may have just taken a pit stop as such, hopefully it is okay, I am more concerned for it if it isn’t wanted to be honest. Hopefully it wins so it isn’t released back into the wild. If it does get released then hopefully it makes its way back to me so I can look after it☺️