Roxanne

Building a new run...

We are about to build a new run on hardstanding and attached to an existing stable. Having purchased all the wood and netting (I have cribbed the design from all the wonderful photos on this site) I would like to know if I have to extend the netting so it sticks out on the ground under the structure like the skirt of the cube run, or is it not necessary ???? I notice there are bricks on the ground around the edge of some of the structures... is this another safety measure?

I plan to put the cube inside the stable (it is very windy here) but leave the stable door open to the main run so the girls can come and go as they please (24 hour access) but still ensure it is fox proof.

Any thoughts and experience would be very helpful.

Thanks.

if, as you say, the run will be on hardstanding then there's no need to extend the netting as nothing can dig under concrete-unless it's a fox with a pneumatic drill!

however, they'd easily be able to get thru netting, I'd use wire mesh if I were you.

my hubbie made a wooden frame then attached the wire mesh to that, it has concrete flags on 3 sides and the side that's on the soil has a double layer of wire mesh going verticaly into the soil about 6 inches deep.

like this....

If you have some wood, you coud make a frame and do the same perhaps? and then, if your run is on concrete there would be no need for 'skirting'. If you don't do a frame then you definitely need some way of weighting the mesh down.

outside2.JPG

Great advice.

Ok - we have mesh - the same size as the elgu cube run so as it is on hard standing I will dispense with a skirt - we are boarding up the first 8" to keep the flooring in. Am off to get hemcore now. do you attach the mesh from the inside or outside of the frame and what do you use to attach it? Nails? Staple gun?? ? Sorry to be so thick!! I am not a born handywoman!! :oops::!: Once I have instructions, I'm fine!

Great advice.

Ok - we have mesh - the same size as the elgu cube run so as it is on hard standing I will dispense with a skirt - we are boarding up the first 8" to keep the flooring in. Am off to get hemcore now. do you attach the mesh from the inside or outside of the frame and what do you use to attach it? Nails? Staple gun?? ? Sorry to be so thick!! I am not a born handywoman!! :oops::!: Once I have instructions, I'm fine!

dh attached ours from inside, asthetic reasons I think ;) and he used big staples, the kind you get from diy shops and you hammer in