soapdragon

Swifts, Swallows and Martins

I have just realised that our annual swift/swallow/martins (can never work out which as they move so quickly!) have not returned to their nest under the eaves at the front of the house. They have visited for over 20 years and I'm wondering why they have given us the cold shoulder this year. Are they OK? Is there a decline in numbers? I can't recall seeing anything in the media about the reduction in migrating birds. Do they just find another site after a while?

Can't say that I'll miss the amount of 'guano' down the front of the house but it does feel odd not to have them there.

Could it have something to do with the cold Spring/late arrival of summer in the UK, somehow the birds know and go somewhere else, maybe stopping in France for example? I realise that looks a bit daft written down, but I'm under the impression birds know a lot more than us about some things!  Or, if its just one pair, then the more obvious reason might be death.

• Like 1

I love the 'screaming' that they make when they fly  - such a beautiful noise and sound of summer.

I know last year, they got caught up in awful storms across Europe and many didn't make it to over here.

Maybe their numbers did not recover enough to come this far this year. 

2 hours ago, mullethunter said:

I love the screaming of swifts too. I grew up in the countryside and we didn’t have them so I’d never really heard them until I moved to the small town I live in now. Now they really do herald summer - and always leave too early!!

I wanted to like your post @mullethunter but apparently I have been over reacting to some other posts earlier and it won't let me like any more 🙄

so I highlighted you instead.

• Haha 3