Luvachicken

Moulting, Pekin feet and limping question.

Dottie started limping a little bit on Sunday.

I checked her feet and legs but couldn't see anything other than new feathers, and some mud which I washed off. 

Yesterday morning, all the other chickens were up, but she was sat waiting in the doorway, unable to get down.

I lifted her down and she pottered around as much as she could.

At bedtime, I washed her feet again and popped some Sudocrem on, then put her back into the Cube.

She doesn't seem to be able to get back up the ladder either, although she did manage on Sunday.

Today was the same, waiting at the doorway but she looked more subdued than yesterday.

Tonight, I washed her feet again, bit more Sudocrem and topped her up with some food - her crop was emptier than yesterday.

I've decided to keep her in a broody cage indoors tonight, then when she wakes up, she can eat food and have water straight away.

I know it is painful for them to grow new feathers but she does seem to be struggling - this will be her first moult.

Is there anything else I can do for her or do you think she could be suffering from something else ?

I've had a few jump down awkwardly and Squirt was a habitual bad lander - but she never learnt!  Perhaps a massage or metacam will help as an anti-inflammatory and pain killer but I think that is by vet.  You should see me massage ducklings - but then I can give them hydrotherapy sessions!  LOL!  Hope Dottie improves - tuna and mealworms, anything she likes, even make some pasta (vet gave thumbs up for Fudge re pasta) anything that will help put on weight - sunflower seeds etc.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, Cat tails said:

Does she still have grip with her feet? So if you stick your finger in her claw, does she grip on?

the only other thing I can think of is the not so nice one: Marek’s

I think she does have grip but will check again tomorrow before I go into school.

I knew there was something nasty - couldn't remember what it was. Fingers crossed it's not that.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, mullethunter said:

Are you certain it’s her feet? Could she have injured a leg?

One of mine has really struggled with a moult this year - she’s been so miserable and subdued for weeks and is only just coming out of it.

I did wonder if she could have hurt her leg. They did a lot of running around the coop on Saturday.

Molly usually walks around with one foot up when she is moulting so that's what made me think it could be her feathers hurting her.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:00 PM, Valkyrie said:

Perhaps a massage or metacam will help as an anti-inflammatory and pain killer but I think that is by vet.  You should see me massage ducklings - but then I can give them hydrotherapy sessions!  LOL!  Hope Dottie improves - tuna and mealworms, anything she likes, even make some pasta (vet gave thumbs up for Fudge re pasta) anything that will help put on weight - sunflower seeds etc.  

I would love to see you massage a duckling.

Metacam might be what we need but really hoping we can recover without meds.

I will give her the best food I can and will see if I can give her a gentle massage - she wasn't keen when I tried on Monday.

She is such a sweetie and so pretty, I would hate to lose her too.

Thank you all for your advice xx 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:23 PM, Luvachicken said:

I would love to see you massage a duckling.

You get very wet!  You know it works when they get so cross they try to get away and both legs go like the clappers!  Then they have a bath and you get splashed even more. Eventually you get to chase them, but by then you know they can get about and it just needs a little prompting to exercise!  A couple of lads have crash landed a couple of times, but again, make them walk for a little bit, then a little bit longer and they've all been fine - no bathing for them necessary thank goodness - I'd drown!

Well, I did take Dottie to the vets today - luckily I only work half day today.

The vet appeared very thorough and said Dottie doesn't have Marek's,  was nice and healthy and passed all of her tests she did to her.

I think she was a bit baffled to what exactly is wrong, as they usually are, but said that possibly she might have something wrong with her ear - she has a slight head tilt.

The vet gave us some Loxicom for pain relief and Baytril just in case she has any infection.

She said I can put her back with the others tonight.

Have given her the Loxicom already - she is an absolute angel at taking the medication - I just hope she is as good for the Baytril later.

I'm not sure putting her in with the others last night was a good idea - she managed to hobble to a corner of the cube and that is where she stayed all night, on her own, until I got her this morning. (I have spy cam in there plus she was exactly where we'd left her)

I would have slept an awful lot better if she had been inside.

Never mind, she is back inside today (since I got her out this morning)  

She isn't any worse but not much better either.

She is quite wobbly/unbalanced and still keeps putting her head to one side.

She has taken her medicine extremely well so I guess I just have to be patient and wait for it to start working.

Off to get her some treats to tempt her with in a bit.

I feel really sorry for her.

• Confused 1

I'm just wondering if she could have an ear infection ?

I looked up Bird Flu just in case, but she doesn't have any of those symptoms.

I'm really quite worried about what she might have and if she has any chance of getting better :sad:

On a happier note, we did buy her some corn on the cob and some broccoli, so hopefully she can tuck into those tomorrow.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:29 PM, Cat tails said:

Could well be. Ear infections hurt! If it is an inner ear one, they can lose their balance.

Hope she will tuck into the veg tomorrow.

Yes, indeed they do - like a hot screw driver being driven into your ear.

She is still quite unbalanced and her head almost turns all the way over.

I gave her her medicine this morning and some drink and told hubby he might need to give her some more drink while I was in school but as I left she was busy tucking into the sweetcorn and looking like a chicken.

She has bouts of looking perfectly normal and then goes back to going backwards, head bent round and very sleepy.

Just found this, it describes almost perfectly - just have to hope the medication works for her as it doesn't seem that treatable :sad: 

Inner ear infections (Otitis interna): The inner ear is the sensory receptor for both sound and equilibrium. It consists of the cochlear organ and a vestibular organ. The chicken's inner ear is considered to be a part of their nervous system, and helps the chicken with balance. This is why inner ear infections can cause neurological signs in affected chickens, in the form of head tilt, loss of coordination and balance, and torticollis (wry neck). Inner ear infections are most likely caused by a viral infection, and are much more difficult to treat.

Sadly, hubby took her to the vets for me this morning.

So very sad, she really didn't perk up at all and I don't think the medicine was doing anything.

She did at least eat some waxworms that we got her on Saturday but her head has been really hanging down.

Dottie still took all of her medicines so nicely, even this morning, but her head was so floppy and she couldn't open her eyes.

To start with, the eye that was on the side that her head kept going to, remained closed, but she didn't open her eyes at all yesterday or today. 

What is more sad is that she was starting to talk to me like my Gemma did and now she has gone - none of the others chat like that.

Sweet dreams dear Dottie xx

• Sad 1