simonmjames

Hens eating/breaking eggs

hi all

We have 8 hens and a cockerel. As it's winter the egg laying rate has gone down - but we're fine with that. We're still getting one or two a day. The thing is that one egg from one hen keeps getting broken - we're still not sure if it's just getting sat on or eaten. ( The other eggs are fine) It's certainly got a thinner shell and this hen has always laid like that - but her eggs usually/mostly survive even in peak laying season. We feed them all Calcivet and to be honest, my guess is that she just lays thin shelled eggs and things will pick up with the spring - she's otherwise healthy but is one of the older ones. 

As I say, I think it's probably OK - the broken eggs still have some yolk or white in so I don't think it's winter hunger. I was just wondering if anyone had come across anything similar?

thanks

I do have a hen that always lays thin or no shell eggs (she’s otherwise very healthy) but so far I’ve been lucky and the only time they’re broken is when she lays them while still on the roosting bars and they fall through.

Ive read that they’ll often peck the shells to sort of test them after they lay them, so if they’re very thin they will end up breaking and then of course eating them.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:25 AM, simonmjames said:

hi all

We have 8 hens and a cockerel. As it's winter the egg laying rate has gone down - but we're fine with that. We're still getting one or two a day. The thing is that one egg from one hen keeps getting broken - we're still not sure if it's just getting sat on or eaten. ( The other eggs are fine) It's certainly got a thinner shell and this hen has always laid like that - but her eggs usually/mostly survive even in peak laying season. We feed them all Calcivet and to be honest, my guess is that she just lays thin shelled eggs and things will pick up with the spring - she's otherwise healthy but is one of the older ones. 

As I say, I think it's probably OK - the broken eggs still have some yolk or white in so I don't think it's winter hunger. I was just wondering if anyone had come across anything similar?

thanks

@mullethunter Ah thanks - that reassures me. Of course, typically she laid a lovely intact egg this morning! 

• Like 1