Karen1

Frogs!

Hi,

My gingernut ranger (eliza), last year saw a frog in the garden, she embaled it on her beak, went running round the garden. Then gradually pecked off the legs, and head, then swallowed the rest of it whole!! :?

It was a big frog to.

Ellie

Hi,

My gingernut ranger (eliza), last year saw a frog in the garden, she embaled it on her beak, went running round the garden. Then gradually pecked off the legs, and head, then swallowed the rest of it whole!! :?

It was a big frog to.

Ellie

that's what I'm afraid of. We fenced off the bottom part of the garden so that the dogs can't get to the pond so there's no chance of the chooks getting to the pond but the frogs do tend to roam so... I won't be able to cope with frog eating hens. Perhaps our two won't see them as food? Says she hopefully...

We haven't got a pond, but we have a lot of pots of plants on our patio - part of it fenced off! I disturbed a frog today, and this evening, I think the hens met it. However it got away! :D We also have a toad in the garden - seen end of last week.

Due to frogs, toads and other wild-life, we don't use slug pellets any more, but have beer trap. So if anyone sees me buying cans of beer at the supermarket, that's the reason why! LOL

The only reason I force myself to drink wine is so I can build lots of thermal wine bottle containers - they really do give the plants that extra boost of heat
... 8) now theres a new excuse for me .. :lol::lol:

We still have a little frog, and a bigger one living in the water feature, they are a bit pesky as they lean against the pump :roll: , but I like knowing they are there and the boys love it when I hold them, so they can have a good look. :P

Nothing to do with frogs - Carl always makes remarks like "you really must stop drinking so much" to me when throwing bottles in the bottle bank just to embarrass me :oops: It always sounds a bit lame when I reply that i don't drink so now we will have lots of those thermal wine bottle containers instead :lol: (they may take over the garden though!)

LSH has just been cutting the lawn while I rush around collecting up in cupped hands tiny baby froglets! They would fit on the tip of my finger and you can only see them when they jump! Gorgeous little things but definitely in extreme danger from the lawnmower so Ollie and I have been carrying them over to the pond and releasing them onto the pebbles!

i discovered the other day that raking the lawn is also dangerous to frogs. luckily alex spotted the little toady just in time, i'd have so guilty if i'd raked him up. i feel guilty if i step on a snail, really i do & if we go for a walk i always tell alex to watch out for snails. next door neighbour (the one who bakes cakes) has a small pond in her garden & i'm so jealous. i've found a couple of dead frogs in my garden could this be because they've come from the pond next door & can't find their way back or is it more likely that they've been got by big scary animals with sharp teeth?

awwwwwwww, Kate, that sounds so cute - and that's good, coming from someone who is PETRIFIED of frogs :oops:

My neighbour and I were clearing out my garden yesterday, and a huge big toady/froggy jumped onto my foot. I ran away screaming, while Dennis looked at me like I'd gone mad. He scooped it up and popped it back in his pond, before telling me he breeds them :shock:

Maybe if I start off small, I'll eventually get over my fear. Luckily, I haven't seen any diddy ones in our garden to rescue.

We have some grow-bags with tomatos on our patio. My husband put plastic flower-pots in between each plant to make it easier for watering. It's fun to watch some of the pots "jump" out of their holes! I don't know how many frogs and toads are hiding in the grow-bags.

The patio is fenced off to keep the ladies away from the plants, which also means it should be safe for the frogs, toads and sparrows - one of the hens got one last week. :( We tried to rescue it, but it disappeared under some of our bushes. Hope it recovered and got away.