maizey

frost

Hi,

I often wonder if chickens feel the bitter cold especially during the night? To minimise any draught i have covered my eglu with 3 polythene sheets.

I also make them a warm porridge of layers pellets and oats.

Also how does one prevent their water from freezing in their glug?

Any thoughts or suggestions for these very cold days and nights?

Thanks

I pour boiling water into the glug when frozen - it cools almost immediately (but do check before putting it back into the run!) And do take it out of the run to do this, I normally fill from a watering-can, but mine like to drink from the spout :shock:

If I were more organised I'd take them in overnight and refill them in the morning.

If I were more organised I'd take them in overnight and refill them in the morning.

that's what we do but they can still freeze during the day. I heard putting a little bit of citricidal or glycerine in can help.

I believe there are heated water dispensers out there on the net but I've never bothered googling for them.

The long pin used to hold the run door closed is perfect for breaking the ice on cold mornings.

I do the same.

I haven't been closing my Eglu doors at night even though it has been extra cold and they have been absolutely fine.

Mind you there are 4 in each Eglu and they do generate a fair amount of heat.

: Does anybody have a clever trick to stop a hose from freezing, I am not prepared to bring it indoors :(

Tessa

'

Have had same problem myself this morning and couldn't get any water to the horse only by filling the kettle and buckets in the house . I was wondering if I could lag a length of hose with that stuff you put around pipes in the house. :?

chickenlass wrote:

. I was wondering if I could lag a length of hose with that stuff you put around pipes in the house. :?

Hmmm maybe a short length would be possible, you could try that foam stuff or even old rags might do it. My hose is on the wall of the house and the Eglu is 100ft away at the bottom of the garden, can't really lag all that :roll:

Keeping chickens in the winter has a whole load of challenges (mustn't call them problems :) I had never thought of :shock:

Tessa

Went out this afternoon intending to a big Eglu clean and found that the hose was frozen :( they had to make do with a poo tray clean and a s"Ooops, word censored!"e down of the roosting bars :roll: Does anybody have a clever trick to stop a hose from freezing, I am not prepared to bring it indoors :(

Tessa

How about covering it with a piece of tarpaulin or if it's on a reel, a wheel cover like you get on the back of 4x4's?

Gloria

Does anybody have a clever trick to stop a hose from freezing, I am not prepared to bring it indoors :(

Turning it off at the tap and draining it down is one way but a bit of a pain to keep doing it all winter but if you leave it all of a heap then you could just pour a kettle of boiling water over making sure you dribble a bit at tap and nozzle ends.