Beantree

An unfortunate accident

Our old (10 years) little house hen Portia has just had a freak accident with the front door. It's a lovely sunny calm afternoon so the very heavy door has been left open, which is normally no problem at all. She was walking though to come inside when a gust of wind came out of nowhere and it slammed shut. One of her toes has been amputated due in the tiny gap between the drain sill and the door bottom edge. We can't catch her because she is so stressed by the shock of it. Doesn't appear to be bleeding too much and we hope it stops, because we can't catch her until she decides to come in on her own, which she may not do; she won't go anywhere near us or the front door at the moment. Our dilemma was to leave her to calm down or try to catch her which carries the risk of further bleeding or other injury? We've decided to leave her for the moment. I'll update in due course.

She's in her cage now.She eventually calmed down enough to gather her up but lots of bleeding on the way. Foot is now heavily bandaged and she has lost a lot of blood, but not bleeding now so no need for the arrowroot powder. I had to cut the shard of bone off that was sticking out of the wound, but she was moving towards sleepy time so no problem. Loads of antibacterial and a very heavy bandage that will need replacing in two days. She is one really determined chicken to survive. I thought her heart would fail like her sisters, but she is obviously much stronger than them. We feel so guilty for leaving the door open and won't do it again, but that's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

You have my hopes for a full recovery, Beantree.  I feel sure you and Portia will manage it between you.  Don't beat yourself up, none of us can foresee everything and a freak occurance is just that - freakish!  She is in very good hands for this next stage, you will give her every chance and she sounds like she is just the sort of bird to make the best of every chance.   I have no experience of what one might give a chicken for shock, my instinct is to spoil them and keep them warm, but no doubt there is a more scientific approach.  My fingers are firmly crossed for you.

We should have put something in the door to stop it slamming shut but didn't think that far ahead; stupid we know.

She's been in her cage all day and I took her out this evening to sit on my lap in the sun. She was bright enough but still in shock and probably pain. Can't give her Aspirin because she won't swallow it. Our worry now is infection, but we won't know for a few days yet. We've treated lots of injuries with the same cream without any problems, but she's getting old so perhaps her immune system isn't so good?

Had her grape treat this afternoon. I think we need to get her out of her cage tomorrow to move around a bit. She's a bit out of balance now and needs to adjust. It's her outer toe that has gone and that gave her stability when she walked about. Can't spoil her enough at the moment and just want to see her out and about again.

She's talking, which is always a good sign and she has been outside after another whole day in the cage. Wanted to sit on top of her cage (although she was lifted as a precaution) which is back to normal behaviour. Eating wet rearers mash at the moment, which may be a long term problem with wanting that over dry food, but that's not the focus at the moment. Really hopeful for a good recovery now. Bandage is coming off tomorrow or Thursday for a less restrictive replacement and perhaps she can wander off outside. But we have exhausted the grapes on our vines that she gets for treats in the evening (not good for her with so much natural sugar, but her digestion was great) so we're off to buy a bunch from town tomorrow. Can't spoil her enough as said before.

• Like 1

Good news, BT!

We are just eating the last of our home grown muscat grapes, she won't suffer for the odd treat.  I often find wet food is more palatable for birds when they are ill, but in the circs just getting anything into her is the right answer, so well done you and well done Portia!  I guess your next hurdle is to monitor the wound when its first exposed to the great outdoors, fresh air is good, but obviously dangers lurk on the ground.  You can only do your best, I feel positive for a good outcome as well as Portia doesn't seem to be moping, which is an excellent sign.

We removed the first bandage today, which took 30 minutes; the stump had swollen into the hardened gauze which had absorbed some bleeding and set. She wasn't comfortable afterwards and has been stressed all day but seems to be coming out of it. A very lose gauze has been fitted over the area simply to stop her pecking at it but allowing air around. What's left of her toe is a squashed, mangled and swollen stump. It is going to be weeks, or even longer, before it will be stable enough to let her forage out I think. No sign of infection though, which is big a relief.

• Like 2

I took her outside this evening to sit on my lap and have her grapes. She has been very quiet all day for no apparent reason apart from the stress this morning. She was very placid, but after looking around and getting used to being outside for 30 minutes she changed very quickly. She wanted to get back to her routine and when put down walked back to her cage. Then the sun came out and she wanted to be back outside. So the result is she is back to her routine and no damage to her stump. She wobbles a bit but has adapted to the instability on her left foot.

So I'm thinking, when bringing a chicken into a safe environment for health reasons, how much help is it really? Is there a time to stop and put them back outside where they recognise? Perhaps earlier than you think? Perhaps you can keep them in for too long and they get no benefit, in fact just the reverse; their system shuts down and they just sit there waiting to die?

Well I think we have to take each case on its merits.  Portia is obviously one tough little chicken.  I guess separation is the right thing if a bird is suspected to be infectious or so poorly it can't defend itself/eat on its own and bringing it into a warmer environment applies in those conditions plus when its cold/wet outside and/or you suspect the bird can't regulate its own body temp and/or there is a danger of infection from the coop/pen and/or you are applying first aid/medication and its just easier to do this with a lone bird in a dry place.  I can't remember bringing many birds indoors now I think about it, except occasionally when they were obviously on their last legs as a last ditch attempt to save them, but I was probably lucky and didn't have many wounds to deal with, it was usually illness.  I suspect some birds are not as feisty/brave as Portia and putting them back in with the flock would lead to regression in their healing as other birds can pick on weaknesses.  Having said that, I think there is something in what you say, in the main birds are not bred to be soft and kept inside, its not natural for them.  I think the real secret is that to be a good keeper you need to be observant, which allows you to do the right thing at the right time for each individual bird - but obviously this is not very practical if you have hundreds of them!

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry I couldn't post again until now - had problems with my laptop.

It sounds as though she is on the mend and decided for herself that she wanted to get back to the others.

I'm sure she will adapt to what has happened to her and lead a fun life.

You have shown her total devotion in getting her better - very well done.

A strange development:; she had become agoraphobic. So putting her outside her cage resulted in her walking straight back in? She wouldn't come out all day until we carried her outside for her grapes. Then it all changed. We put her down and she walked through the front door into her cage only to come out a few minutes later to wander around the hall. Putting her back into her cage resulted in her coming straight out again. I can only think that the pain she has been through has addled her brain. She seems to be behaving like a little chicken exploring the world for the first time? Her wound is fine, so she is limping a bit but that is really an issue of balance because her outer toe has gone and that's a big stabilising point. Tomorrow will be a learning experience for all of us.

• Like 1

Pleased to say Portia is back to her normal self. Went outside on her own to soil bathe next to the others, came back in and settled down on the dog. She's not eating many pellets so is still having some mash (which is gulped down in seconds), but we expected that. Now able to scratch her head on both sides, so she has mastered balancing on the foot with one toe missing. Pretty amazing recovery really for a 10 year old chicken!

• Like 1

Don't feel guilty, Beantree.  These things happen.   I am pleased she continues to make progress, what a stout little bird she is.  I have been ill myself over the past few days and the cats have been with me, providing silent support, so make sure you carry on enjoying Portia, we are lucky to have the animals/birds around and you have done a great job with her, so she is lucky in her turn.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you haven't been well @Daphne. Portia continues to improve, so now the scab has fallen off and it's just a pad of pink skin. She is in a never ending moult which is accompanied by a rapid beak growth. So every Sunday she has 2mm filed off it, which at last she is getting used to (a bit). Still tears the grapes to bits though and sometimes pulls them intact from my fingers despite my best efforts to hold them. So now the dog has moved out of her bed and Portia has moved in. The dog has a new daytime bed which is one we bought years ago for a pet cockerel.

• Like 1